Question: Separate gain controls on receivers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LeeG, Dec 23, 2002.

1. LeeG

LeeG Auditioning

I am new to 5.1, 6.1, etc...

What if I use different types of speakers for front and back and center, with different efficiencies? I don't see separate gain controls for front/back/center. I see them for subwoofers sometimes. Are the controls there, just hidden in menus? Otherwise what do people do to adjust gain? I am looking at Panny's HT200, but I wonder if any units have this feature.

Thanks,
    --Lee

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Any multichannel receiver product will have individual adjustments for levels (New products that support dolby digital will have level controls for each speaker, older pro-logic only models might have only controls for center/surround level). I strongly suggest using a SPL meter and test tones on a disc like AVIA to set these levels!

-Vince

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Hi Lee,

There are gain controls for center and rear channels, that are adjusted in relation to the front left and right speakers. You will find these controls on the remote, but sometimes they are in menus.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

P.S. Welcome to the Forum!

4. LeeG

LeeG Auditioning

Thanks for the replies. I figured there must be separate adjustments--just a question of finding them.
    --Lee