What's new

Question: Selling DTV receiver with activated access card? (1 Viewer)

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
Hey guys,

I want to sell my Toshiba DST-3000 but am not sure how it works since the card has been used and activated. I'd call DTV and ask, but the only reason I'm selling it is because I really don't want to ever deal with them again (their local installation sub-contractor missed _8_ appointments to re-install my dish!)

Anything special I have to do? Call DTV? Just send it off with the card? Can the card not be re-sold? Any info would be appreciated.

I'm asking $375+shipping for it, btw. (It has an HU card, for the people that care about that, btw.)

marc

Stunt Coordinator
It does not matter if you sell it with or without, because the next person will have to have a new card sent to them when the subscribe. It is all legal.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the info, marc.

Looks like I'll hold onto this sucker until Comcast signs a deal with CBS. I didn't realize the CBS had commited to HD football as well. Looks like the Pats will have a couple HD games early in the season too...

Argh!

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Bill, why don't you just do the installation yourself? It's not really that difficult. Also, I'd make DirecTV pay like hell for the EIGHT appointments they missed! They missed one with me and I complained enough that they gave me the elliptical dish, Sat C kit and some other stuff for free.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
I live in an apartment, need a non-permanent roof mount, and need to do some drilling. Now, it's not to tough to get on the roof, and easy enough to drill through the window pane next to the cable outlet. Plus, my landlord wouldn't have been too happy if he found it I did it myself.

I already had DTV paying for the equipment, the installation, six free months of Showtime and a $120 credit to my account. They would not, however, sent my any of the equipment directly (for free.)

I got a 2nd level rep from the installer and DTV all on a conference call with me for a half-hour. Even after that, they screwed up another 2 or 3 apointments.

Overall... A few appointments they didn't show up, once they showed up without the equipment (they needed to do a sight survey, but I told them the situation already); 3 or 4 times they called and cancelled, and the best is when they were supposed to show up first thing at 8am, so I took the morning off. I got a call at 11 saying they'd be there at 2pm. It was quite an experience.

Besides, I've been reading rumours of NESN (Red Sox, Bruins TV) going HD soon and Comcast just picked up ESPN-HD last month.

At this point, I'd rather just tell DTV to f-off.

For anyone that lives around here, avoid American Satellite & Cable like the plague. DTV was horrible enough to deal with, but these guys didn't even try. They truly didn't seem to care.

TonyMartin

Auditioning
Bill,
Be very careful sending an activated card to someone. If someone had your activated card and receiver, they can run up a pretty big pay per view bill and guess who gets to pay for it all! Make sure you cancel your account before sending. If someone is interested in your card, they are most likely a hacker since DTV will send a new card if they get a new account.
GL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks