Question: Rolling vertical lines in DVD playback

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott_F_S, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S Second Unit

Equipment:

Zenith DVC2200 DVD player
    Panny CD-32D32 analog TV

On DVD playback through S Video, I get these fine horizontal lines that roll right to left on the screen. These can be seen fairly well on backgrounds of lighter colors. They are also evident on a solid black screen. This doesn't happen through composite video setup. This DVD player doesn't have component outputs.

My question: Does anyone have any idea what is causing these rolling lines? I've tried lowering the contrast, lowering the brightness and reducing the sharpness on the TV controls, but it doesn't really help. I've tried a heavier S video cable, but that doesn't help.

I'm trying to determine if this is happening through the DVD player's output, or if it's a problem/limitation of the TV. In other words, will a drastic upgrade of the DVD player (which I am planning) and then using component output fix this problem?

2. Douglas Pe

Douglas Pe Extra

Hey, I got rolling diagonal lines with my xbox and sometimes with my dvd player and it is corrected for me by removing my cable TV connection or sometimes if u play with the wires it goes away as well, but its probably the cable TV.

3. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

Usually, what you describe is RF interference. You may check into finding a better quality, shielded cable. Or, try "reorienting" the cable you have and see if moving the cable has any effect on the lines.

If you have CATV connected to your system, try disconnecting that, temporarily, to see if it is introducing the noise.

-Scott

4. Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S Second Unit

I did what you suggested: Removed the CATV connection. That was the answer. The noise disappeared, and the playback picture improved dramatically. Tried reseating the CATV and the S-video connections on both ends, but no joy. The only thing that helped was removing the CATV entirely. The CATV cable is standard issue, so will go shopping tomorrow for shielded cable. Thanks to both for your help.