Question Regarding Universal Classic Monster Series

Discussion in 'DVD' started by David Olstein, Aug 4, 2003.

1. David Olstein

I noticed that this series is now out-of-print. I believe I ended up purchasing every one of the DVD titles, but can anyone explain why so many of the VHS titles weren't released on DVD? It seems likes there are enough films left over for a Creature double feature (Revenge of the Creature/The Creature Walks Among Us) and TWO invisible man double features (Invisble Man Returns/Invisible Woman and Invisble Agent/The Invisible Man's Revenge) as well as a stray Dracula title (House of Dracula). Also, if I'm not mistaken, Universal released only two of the Abbot and Costello monster films. And then there are films like Murders in the Rue Morgue and Island of Lost Souls that may not feature a "classic monster" but are still horror classics.

So what happened? Were sales of the double feature titles that bad? Did Universal simply lose interest? Or (as sometimes happens) did the person who oversaw the series leave the company?

2. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

Save yourself the headache & don't try to make sense of the happenings over at Universal's Home Video Dept.

They really are clueless when it comes to their catalog of vintage classics. [​IMG]

3. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

Use the search function to find one of the 1,345 other threads on this subject, which will explain that Universal will be a doing a major classic monsters DVD relaunch to tie in with next summer's VAN HELSING blockbuster.[​IMG]

4. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

Even this is speculation. Nobody knows nothin'.

5. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

To be fair, the titles Universal did release were pretty nice: Dracula is one of my favorite discs.

My only caveat is that they should have released Son of Frankenstein as a stand-alone title which would have enabled them to double-bill The Ghost of Frankenstein with Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man and House of Frankenstein with House of Dracula. But that would have made sense... [​IMG]

6. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    SON OF FRANKENSTEIN certainly deserves its own release... it's a totally worthy entry in the series (and way better than the third entries in other series; SON OF DRACULA and THE MUMMY'S TOMB, anyone?). And hell, Universal dissed it further by billing it after GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN on the disc! One of these days I'm gonna Photoshop me a corrected version.... [​IMG]

But yeah, I feel your pain, David... I've been crying out for the second and third CREATURE films for quite a while now....

7. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

IMHO, they're average, with some being exceptional (Creature FtBL and Frankenstein), and others poor (Bride of Frankenstein), with the rest falling somewhere in the middle.

Bride of Frankenstein has excessive grain and is poorly framed.

8. John Madia

John Madia Second Unit

9. Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston Supporting Actor

Jack Theakston
    If I'm not mistakend, one of the reasons they pulled them was because of a falling out with David Skal, who did the all the supplimentary documentaries. I doubt, if this true, that the discs will be the same if/when the new monster discs are re-released.