Question regarding the movie, The Others

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ricky_K, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Ricky_K

Ricky_K Extra

I just got it on DVD. Very good movie [​IMG]
    Anyway, I have a question. Did the people in the past really took pictures of the dead to capture their spirit within the photos? Just looking at those picture freaked me out! Weird.....What is this practice call?

2. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

I don't know if this practice was widely done or not, but if not the director or writer may have taken the idea from Native American superstitions about photography during the 1800's. Some tribes, not understanding the technology, thought the camera would capture their souls, not just their likenesses.

Dan

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

4. SammyJankins

SammyJankins Extra

Why did you buy that movie? You should have just rented it. But anyway those pictures of the dead people was by far the scariest part of the movie. The ending just made that movie not scary.

5. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

6. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

7. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Why did he buy it? Oh, I dunno, cause he wanted to I guess.

Why even ask such a thing?

I thought the same thing myself when I saw this outstanding film in theaters. It really was eerie seeing photos of dead people, it added something to the film, and the end took me by surprise.

8. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

9. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

OK OK, Sammy is obviously not yet used to how things work around here. I think by now he realises he stepped into a minefield [​IMG].
    The pictures thing terrified me almost as much as the Victor episode in the kids bedroom.
    About the ending,
    I did not think that the Sixth Sense could be pulled on us AGAIN... How dumb are we??!!! [​IMG]
    --
    Holadem

10. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

I can't remember the name of it, but there is a recent book (last 10 years) that collects tons of these pictures taken of dead people. It is like a coffee table book (like I would put THAT out). Very creepy and not my style, but it was hard to look away. People posed their family members sometimes as if they were alive and took the picture. Others were just shot laying in their coffin or on the slab. The worst were the kids which they arrayed again as if they were alive. I think it was a vogue in the late 1800's and didn't last beyond that. Camera technology was still fairly new and maybe they were thinking "Hell, I spent a fortune on this thing. At least I don't have to remind the dead guys to quit squirming." If I can find that book title, I will post it. Ugh.

Phil

11. Hugh Jackes

Hugh Jackes Supporting Actor

Hugh Jackes
    I think I read something in the closing credits about an acknowledgement to the person or institution that had provided the death photos. I took that to mean that except for the three pictures of the domestics
    the pictures used in the movie were authentic.

12. Ricky_K

Ricky_K Extra

These little details can do so much for a film![​IMG]

13. Luis Esp

Luis Esp Supporting Actor

Those photos were pretty disturbing, but I recall on either on TLC or Discovery, there was a tv show that toured the catacombs in Italy and the fully clothed remains of loved ones from the early 1900's were displayed very much like the photos in the movie.

Truly disturbing, but I wonder what will be considered odd 100 years from now.

14. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

I read a book about this type of photography as a kid and was fascinated. I hadn't thought about it for years until I saw The Others. Photographing the dead was indeed a fairly common practice, for those who could afford it.
    "The practice of postmortem photography was widespread in America and Europe during the nineteenth century (Images 394). The practice of photographing the deceased began very early in the history of photography and was a special service performed by portrait photographers. In its early stages of mortuary portraiture the process was accomplished almost entirely by the daguerreotype."
    It's really only "creepy" because Western society is so used to letting someone else (the funeral industry) take care of their dead, and most people only see "death" in movies and on TV. These photographs were, in many cases, the only likeness families had of the dead person. This was almost always the case wrt children.
    Here are a few links to read up on this photography. WARNING: there are photos of dead people, including children, on these sites.
    MEMENTO MORI (the whole essay is fascinating, but the link "The Body" is most directly concerned with nineteeth-century death photography)
    Here's another essay.
    Here's a "how-to":
    TAKING PORTRAITS AFTER DEATH
    written by a photographer in 1855.

15. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

Here are some other links and they are startling. I myself questioned this immediately after viewing The Others because it so completely creeped me out. I was aware of the odd death photograph of famous people here and there but the wide sweep of this practice shocked me.
    Death in 19th century America is completely different from what it is today.
    The link below has some captions done in poor taste so beware.
    SHUTTER TO BREATHE: IMAGES OF DEATH FROM POSTHUMOUS OIL PAINTINGS TO TALKING TOMBSTONES
    I couldn't get Vickie's link to work so I found this one:
    MEMENTO MORI: DEATH AND PHOTOGRAPHY IN NINETEENTH CENTURY AMERICA
    This one helps show the "Cult of the Dead" mentality that prevailed in the 19th century.
    Sleeping Beauty II
    Click on the "round robin" link. Some modern photographs too:
    Secure the Shadow

16. Ricky_K

Ricky_K Extra

OMG! Wow, very disturbing. [​IMG] But I guess the only way to remember someone in the past was through photography. They didn't have camcorders, etc...
    Let them all rest in peace.