Question regarding the Godfather Saga?...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by todd s, Nov 12, 2003.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I remember reading tha the Godfather Saga that came out in video was in chronological order. But, their was scenes cut out and scenes added. My question is this. Are all the scenes added and cut restored to the Godfather dvd that is out?

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

3. Jim Dalton

Jim Dalton Stunt Coordinator

I believe it was called The Godfather Chronology.

What they did was to not only add in these deleted scenes, but they also took all the scenes from Part 1 & 2 and put everything in a chronological order. It was shown this way on USA network and I was VERY DISAPPOINTED that FFC and Paramount didn't at least put them back in the movie. Oh well, at least we have them in the deleted scenes.

If you get the chance, read the book.

4. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

No, it was originally called "The Godfather: A Novel for Television" and was a re-editing of the first 2 movies with additional scenes, put together into a huge 5 hour chronological epic that aired on tv in the 70s. In the early 90s it was released as a special video/laserdisc box set along with the extended cut of Godfather 3 and retitlted "The Godfather Epic". I think it's also been referred to as "The Godfather Saga" when USA or Bravo has aired it on their channels in the last few years.

5. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    thats exactly right haden.
    last year the blockbuster i work in had a vhs copy of this saga, but i didn't know it until someone brought it to the counter and bought it.[​IMG] .

i would have grabbed it. i wish i knew it was there.

i do have a taped off the air from usa network but it would have been nice to have that other tape.

i like the saga version somewhat better then the theatrical version.

6. Britton

Britton Supporting Actor

You can buy the VHS copy of the chronological versions at the Zoetrope Studios store. It will cost you $100 plus whatever shipping is.

http://www.zoetrope.com/store/

Just look for it in "Films on Video" in their "Movie, Music, and More" store.

7. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

They are cheaper on Ebay. You can get either the videos or laserdiscs for $50-70 on there. This chronological version is my preferred way to watch Godfather 1 and 2. I wish Paramount would officially release it on DVD.

8. Jeff Swearingen

Jeff Swearingen Second Unit

Jeff
    What were Coppola's intentions when I and II were reedited into the saga?

I believe that the first movie stands on its own well and the second one is even better BECAUSE it jumps back and forth between Vito and Michael and reinforces themes running between the two storylines. After seeing it both ways, I would never want to see the chronological version again because part II would not be anywhere as powerful without the parallel story arcs.

9. Britton

Britton Supporting Actor

I'm also one who much prefers the theatrical releases of the movies to the chronological version. The Vito scenes from Part II are much more interesting after you've seen the man he becomes. For example, the young Vito is really hands on whereas the older Vito has others do his bidding. I also find it neat how it was Clemenza who introduced Vito a life of crime; it's an aspect that has more impact when you've already seen that it is Clemenza who serves under Vito. Part II is the perfect template not only for how to do a perfect sequel, but also how to make a perfect prequel as well.

In addition, the chronological version loses the parallel story structure from Part II that served it so well and helped make it in my opinion, the best Godfather film and my personal best film of all time.

10. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

When they were putting together everything for the box set.
    They stated, at that time, there was no intention of releasing the, can I get away with calling it, the made for TV release.
    Too bad. I enjoy this as well.
    And when Bravo aired it, they had these beautiful little segways that added backround to the movie as well.
    Can not see this 'title' being released for a long, long, time.
    Like four or five. At the earliest.

11. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer