Question regarding overscan (with pics)

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Phil Carter, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Phil Carter

Phil Carter Second Unit

Phil
    Hi folks.

I have just discovered that my Mitsubishi 48" RPTV has a pretty severe overscan issue which is cutting off way too much picture on the sides for my comfort. I got into an argument with somebody else about a cliff that appears in the background of a "sea" shot in "Pirates of the Caribbean", because it simply doesn't appear on my TV. When she posted a screenshot, I discovered that my TV's default overscan setup is cutting off a pretty decent-size amount of the picture.

Here's the screenshot she posted.

[c][​IMG][/c]

And here is how it appears on my TV:

[c][​IMG][/c]

The ratio on the first pic is 2.35 (quite correct for a Scope film); the ratio on the second pic is about 2.08. I bought this TV so that I would get to see the FULL image and am rather irritated that it's been cutting off this much of the film on the sides without my knowing it. I have the DVD player set to 16x9 and the TV itself is set to "Normal", not "Zoom" or "Expand" or any of the other zoom-in settings.

Am I correct in thinking that overscan is a TV-specific setting? I've checked my Mitsu's manual and there's nothing in there about overscan adjustments (of course). I've been waiting for the CRTs to seat properly before I have it ISF-calibrated; perhaps it's time for me to bite the bullet and have the calibration done. ISF calibrators can fix overscan issues, correct?

Thanks for any replies. You can imagine I felt like an idiot when I kept insisting that the cliff simply wasn't there, then had proof of it thrown in my face. I hate knowing that I'm missing part of the film, since that's why I BOUGHT this TV in the first place -- to see films the way they were intended! [​IMG]

cheers,
    Phil

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Greetings

First, it is almost impossible to do an overscan comparison using a video / film image. You should be using the AVIA check overscan pattern. With that being said,

Second, if the comparison TV is a digital device it may have as little as 0-2% overscan where your CRT based unit may have as much as 10 % overscan.

Your vertical overscan is comparible with the other shot. As you have indicated your horizontal overscan isnt, though we have no measurement by how much.

My first guess is that you have an Hitachi TV (which you dont), Hitachi always have too much horizontal OS. My second guess is that it could be the player...the Samsung player does not produce a geometrically correct image (upgrade the firmware if available or replace with a different brand). The 3rd would be that your set is not correctly setup.

An ISF calibrator is trained in correcting gray scale and not overscan. However, this is a relatively easy thing to correct via the service menus on Mitsubishi sets. On Hitachi sets pots must be manually adjusted with access from the front service panel (behind the CRTs). A full service video setup / calibration would correct your issue.

Hope that helped?

PS: Ill be in Atlanta in March (and most of the other southern states except Florida where I will be in February).
    PSS: Its minus 45 F up here right now, Id rather come down sooner than later [​IMG]

Regards

Gregg

3. Phil Carter

Phil Carter Second Unit

Phil
    Thanks for the reply, Gregg!

Right-ho. Off I go to book an appointment. [​IMG]

Thanks again!

cheers,
    Phil