Question regarding DVI cable

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Bryan*D, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Bryan*D

Bryan*D Extra

First of all, Hello everyone, I'm new here. Purchased the Sony 51" Widescreen, KP-51WS510, a few weeks ago and absolutely love it. Also, got my HDTV box from Comcast and WOW, I'm truly blown away.

I purchased a DVI cable from Circuit City and was told that it would work. When I plugged it into my HDTV box, I got no picture at all. Component, which is what I'm using, the Monster3, works fine. I look in the HDTV manual and see that I need a DVI-D Dual Link cable. The packaging on the cable says DVI Single Link. It was the Monster DVI400.

Did I do something wrong with the cable? Does the DVI cable only work with HDTV channels and not regular? Is there a noticeable difference between the high end Monster3 Component cable that I'm using and the DVI?

2. Anthony_J

Anthony_J Stunt Coordinator

Which STB did Comcast provide? It might not be set up to output DVI even though the connection is there.

I'm interested in any responses as well. I have the DCT-5000 and couldn't get DVI to output (even searched through the box's service menu for an option but found nothing to turn on DVI).

Oh well, the picture looks great through component connects.

3. Bryan*D

Bryan*D Extra

I have the DCT-5100. The only thing I could find in the manual was a small blurb that stated "connect to your HDTV using a DVi-D Dual Link cable."

I really don't know how much better the DVI cable can be over the Component, because it looks fantastic.

4. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

On most Comcast systems, they aren't running firmware that supports the DVI yet. You need something like v 6.04. (Hit power off then OK quickly to view info). It's starting to roll out in some parts of the country.

The Monster DVI400 cable is massively overpriced just like all their cables. I'd return it. Try someplace reasonable like www.pacificcable.com after DVI is activated, if you want to try it.

5. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    In case you're wondering about the difference of single-link and dual-link cables, then look here:
    http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI_cables.html#vs

I'd say the single-link should be enough, even though your manual talks about dual-link.

And regarding price: Just this week I got a 5m (15ft) dual-link DVI cable from newegg.com for about $26 shipped. I'd wager you paid a lot more for yours at CC. [​IMG]

-Christian

6. Bryan*D

Bryan*D Extra

Thanks a bunch for the information [​IMG]

You all are correct, the Monster DVI cable was expensive. I did return it for the Monster3 Component, which was only slightly cheaper. Just wanted to stick with Monster since that's what all my other cables are.

Has anyone compared the difference from Component and DVI? Is there a noticeable difference? My HDTV broadcasts look amazing right now, can they really get any better?