What's new

Question regarding display problems on older RPTV (1 Viewer)

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
A friend of mine has an older RPTV, probably late 98/99 Mitsubishi. He has a problem recently that he asked me about, but I'm stumped. Outside of just saying "it's broke", I was wondering if any of you may have an idea. Please bear in mind that this was the description that I received, so it may be somewhat different.

His description was as follows:
The television now has several scrolling black horizontal lines. The lines are a couple of "pixels" in height and there are several on screen at once. The lines constantly scroll slowly, and oddly enough will either scroll upwards or downwards at different times.

The lines are described as large enough to be distracting, but the picture otherwise is fine with no bleeding or loss of color.

This doesn't appear to be connected to any one source and can be seen from a direct connection to a digital cable box, to a DVD player, or a VHS VCR.

I'm at a loss. The lines aren't described as numerous enough to be a frame issues with interlacing. The multiple lines kill any kind of vertical hold idea I was having.

What do you think?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
There is probably some kind of interference and you need to do troubleshooting. There could also be a damaged cable tgiving a poor connections somewhere.

Start by unplugging everything, all video cables, all audio cables, etc. from the back of the TV.

Next, connect one thing at a time directly to the TV and see if or when the black lines come back.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Seems to be the same with all interfaces, including coax and composite, as well as with all sources.

That was what led me to think it was a common display malfunction and not related to any one cable or interface.

Thanks for the help, and that link is wonderful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks