Question regarding Dick Van Dyke box set packaging.

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by PeterMano, Jun 9, 2004.

1. PeterMano

PeterMano Stunt Coordinator

I've just started picking up these wonderful sets. I'm almost finished season 2 and just picked up season 3.

My question regarding the packaging is the following. It involves the lenticular inserts that give the 3-d effect on the front of the box. Are there multiple depictions of scenes for the varioius seasons?

For season 2, all I've seen is the scene from the walnut episode.
    For season 3, all I've seen is Rob falling out of the jurybox.
    For season 4, all I've seen is Laura opening the package than turns into a liferaft.
    But for season 1, I've seen two different covers. One is the classic falling over the ottoman gag and the other is Rob and Laura dancing. I'm not sure which to pick up out of the two. Is one rarer than the other and are there other scene depictions for the other seasons.

Thanks in advance.

2. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I don't believe that one is rarer than the other, and I'm not sure if season 1 is the only one like that.

3. PeterMano

All right, I think I've got this one figured out, kind of. I went to amazon.com and saw a pic of the season five box set and it's got the depiction of Rob and Laura dancing. Somehow, this insert got into a season one box set. Because the inserts are removeable, there's no rarity involved here. I prefer the ottoman pratfall gag anyway.

While I'm here, I might as well thank you guys for recommending these box sets so highly, especially David VP. I was reluctant to spring for the higher than normal price tag and I had the feeling that the material would be dated. I was wrong. I haven't laughed out loud this often in a long, long time. Even when the material is a little weak, the performers still manage to come through and make something out of it.

As for the price tag, it might seem a little steep, but, at least you're getting all five seasons in a timely manner. Contrast that with the current boondoggle with the MTM show. We get season one, which I thought overall was kind of weak, but the fate of seasons 2-7 is up in the air.

What's interesting about the DVD show, is that they don't go for the easy gags. There are no dumb characters on this show, where their stupidity is exploited to comic effect as is so prevalent in sit-com. Instead they exploited the weakness in human character to comic effect as displayed beautifully in All About Eavesdropping. It's also refreshing to see a child actor who actually acts like a child instead of a miniature adult and is all the more funny for it.

I had a curious reaction while working my way through Season 2. I stopped and popped in an episode from The Family Guy and had to stop watching about half-way through. I couldn't take any more. The show was cruel and mean-spirited in comparison to DVD. Family Guy asks you to laugh at others where the DVD show asks you to laugh at yourselves. I feel a whole lot better about myself and the world around me when I finish watching Dick and the gang.

4. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Thank you, sir. *shakes hands with Peter online*
    Glad to have helped (if only in a small way) to sell some more DVD-on-DVD sets. [​IMG]

Odd thing about the Season 5 3-D card showing up in a Season ONE set. Hadn't heard of that happening before. I find that especially curious since the two sets are at opposite ends of the release schedule (Season 1 came out in October; while S.5 hasn't hit the market yet). I could easily fathom the S.1 and S.2 motion cards getting switched somehow, because those seasons came out on the very same day. But #5's card showing up in a S.1 box seems quite strange.

I like that S.5 picture though. I think that's going to be my favorite of the five when it comes out.

[​IMG]

5. PeterMano

David, I have a feeling that these sets were probably all made at the same time, and that Image has spaced out their releases to accomodate purchasers. Somehow the dancing rob and laura insert got into a season one box set.

Correct if I'm wrong, but this is the fastet release of an entire series that lasted five seasons that I'm aware of. I could very well be wrong as I don't follow the tv show market that closely.

Yeah, buddy's line, "You didn't give them the house?" is a classic. The other thing I will mention is how talented the cast is. Dick Van Dyke is such an accomplished physical comedian as well as being able to sing and dance. MTM also sings and dances. Rose Marie sings suprisingly well. Morey plays a mean cello. And Carl Reiner is very funny as Alan Brady and his various cameo bits and voice overs for imaginary tv programs.

I wish there were more extras on these discs. I'm so glad they haven't edited these episodes. Rob and Laura smoke, egads, how politically incorrect. This isn't just entertainment, but also a time capsule. Those capri pants that apparently the censors didn't like. Scandalous.

The packaging is first rate, but I don't have a convenient place for the little pamphlet that comes with the set. I grew up watching these episodes as a kid, I'm aging myself here, and I will be picking up all five. There's simply too many funny episodes in each of the five seasons to pass any one up. Unfortunately, coming this late into these sets means no rebate for me.

It's so refreshing to see a series creator like Carl Reiner pull the plug on a series at its peak rather than have the series degrade and run out of steam as all too often happens with long running shows. With the DVD show, you can pick up any season and know it's great.

I'll be looking forward to your season five review, David, very nice job on the previous seasons.