What's new

Question regarding cable modems and the X-Box (1 Viewer)

Ike

Screenwriter
Since this has more to do with computers, I'll put it in this section, but if this is incorrect, please feel free to move it.

The room where my X-Box is is detached from my house, in a separate game room with my big screen. Currently, I don't have cable run to this room, but the cable company is coming out in a couple of weeks (apparently they are busy) to run me a line out there.

While on the phone, I asked her if I'd be able to rent another cable modem (I'm currently renting the one I'm using now from the cable company), and she said that I couldn't, that I'd only be able to network. That's not possible for several reasons.

I want to hook the X-Box up to Live when it launches in November, but I don't want to have to sacrifice 5.1 and Progressive scan to do it. If I were to buy my own cable modem and use a splitter for this new line, would that work? I didn't understand if she meant that the cable company only rented one modem per house, or if only one modem per house would work without networking?

All answers are appreciated.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I think if u rented another modem, it'd be like getting another line altogether bec. they'll have to give that modem it's own MAC number, IP address, etc.
I'm also in the same boat as u r. My modem is upstairs and running cat5 down to the HT is not feasible. Since I've got a WiFi thingy, I intend to get an ethernet to wireless converter or adapter (if one's out there that's chep enuff).
But for u, it maybe simpler. Just get a hub and run cat5 to the Xbox.

Randy_T

Stunt Coordinator
If you use a hub, your computer will have to be running in order to access the internet on the Xbox. I would get a router. You can get a Linksys 4 port router for around $50 onsale at Office Depot. I'll post the link when I find it.

Randy T

Andre F

Screenwriter
Ike,
Try looking up 'router' under Video Game Hardware and you will find tons of information on the subject. I'm in the same boat, I have various game systems in the living room and a network of four computers in the office. My dileema is whether to run the Cat5 all the way over to the living room (yuck!) or to use Wireless technology. Anyway, here are the plan for both options. Someone should think about doing a FAQ on this topic...
BTW, don't bother buying another cable modem and splitting the signal. You'll probably degrade the signal and it will cost too much money. Of course, that's my opinion.
Wired:
Router (like Randy said, it allows for internet use while the 'main' computer is not on)-->run Cat5 to the living room -->hub-->Cat5 to multiple systems
Advantages: safe and secure, also fastest option available
Disdvantages: running the wire...
Wireless: Wired Router (since I already have one)-->Wireless Router-->Wireless Bridge-->hub-->Cat5 to multiple systems
Advantages: look ma, no wires!
Disdvantages: not as secure (without proper configuration), speed not quite as good and can be worse depending on your house (amount of walls blocking signal etc)
Here are some links to get you started.
I've used this site many times for networking problems...
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
I use the Cable/DSL and like it a lot. I plan to purchase more of there stuff in the future.
http://www.linksys.com
There are other options available like HomePlug and Home PNA (???). One uses standard electrical outlets for a network and the other phone lines. Neither seems to matured yet but it might be worth a look. Have fun!

Randy_T

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know much about the Xbox. Does it have a wireless network card option? Or would you have to "hack" the box and install one?

Nice HT Andre! Is that a Sony KV-36FS13 I see??

Randy T

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks