What's new

Question regarding a possible DIY solution to isolate sound? (1 Viewer)

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
The area that of my basement will have a front and rear free standing wall anchored only to the basement floor (Dricore underlayment) and the floor joists above.

Has anyone used, or considered using foam padding between the bottom of the wall and floor and between the top of the wall and joists? The foam I am considering is the same type and density used for expansion cracks in concrete. The foam is about 1/2 inch thick and compresses down to about 1/8 inch or so.

The wall would be anchored to every other joist above and every 3-4 feet at the floor.

My intent is to attempt a poor man's solution for isolating home theater audio from our home above. Even a small improvement would be worth the cost of the inexpensive foam padding.

Anyone thing it will work? Anyone see a downside? Anyone (other than my wife) think I'm a "nutter"? :D

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
Well, upon further consideration, I've decided that it will be more effective (and less expensive) to provide my wife and child with earplugs! ;)

Thanks anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks