Question re: .wavs and mp3s

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary_E, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Gary_E

Gary_E Second Unit

Is there a utility that can seperate one large .wav or .mp3 file into several smaller .wav or mp3 files. (sort of like chapter stops on a DVD.)

I have access to CDex 1.0, Nero 5.5 and EZ Creator 4.0

Thanks in advance,

-Gary

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Do a google search for "Gold Wave", it's shareware, but if you don't mind "restarting" the program after "so-many" commands, it's basically free. It's very nifty and I do use it on occasion.

Anyhow, it's pretty good at editing waves, so if you have a MP3, turn it into a wave file with CDex and then use Gold Wave to edit. Once you figure out how to mark the beginning and end points of the segment (left click is begin, right click is end), you can do a "Save segment as" for the part that's highlighted (save to song1, then song2, etc).

3. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

CDWave (www.cdwave.com) is also a useful utility for cutting wav's for creating audio CDs.

4. Gary_E

Gary_E Second Unit

Thank you gents, exactly what I was looking for.

-Gary

5. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

Cool Edit Pro 2000. It will allow editing of MP3's while still in MP3 form. Of course saving them results in another data reduction pass, but you can easily save them as WAV which is what you need anyway. It allows a selection of the wave to be saved as a different name. It also does open append allowing the opening of another wav file on the end of an already open one. It's almost as good as multitrack without the trouble.

Cool Edit Pro 2000 also has 64 stereo pair track recording capability.

Without a doubt, the best I've ever seen for audio editing. Others I've used were Gold Wave, Sound Forge XP and Saw. IMHO Cool Edit wins hands down.