What's new

Question re: Toshiba and Hd vs. DVD widescreensettings (1 Viewer)

Doug Smith

Second Unit
Just wondering if anyone can tell me why my Toshiba widescreen TV will automatically switch to the "natural" scrren size when watching on of the HD channels on my cable box - and the picture completely fills the screen. While when watching a DVD (anamorphic) I have to set the screen size to "full" in order to get the whole picture. The "natural" setting still leaves bars on the sides.

Ken Custodio

Second Unit
I have a 50H82 and mine does the same thing. HD channels autoswitch to Natural Mode and I have to use FULL mode for DVDs. That is how it is supposed to work. Just guessing but I believe Natural mode means no stretching of the picture at all. So pictures in a HD scan rate are in Widescreen format and need no stretching at all. Anamorphic DVDs still need to be stretched in one direction to fit widescreen so Natural Mode has the bars. That is just my guess and I am most likely wrong :)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
HD content will automatically switch to "Natural" (which is actually "Full" i.e full width, no stretch, no zoom) mode regardless of the setting on the TV, because HD content is native 16:9. DVD's are not HD content, they are 480i or 480p, so the TV does not know the native aspect ratio of the content. If it is anamorphic widescreen, switch to full. If it is non-anamorphic widescreen, switch to Theaterwide 2. If it is 4:3, switch to "Natural". Remember, not all DVD's are widescreen, some are pre-1953 movies in 4:3 and some are TV shows in 4:3.

Ron_L

Second Unit
for movies that were shot at 1.85:1 aspect ratio use the " Full " setting. For 2.35:1, use Theater Wide 2

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Ron_L, you do know that using Theater Wide 2 crops and zooms the picture? Doing so may fill up your screen, but it does not display the DVD the way it was filmed. Again, for anamorphic widescreen (any ratio) use Full. For non-anamorphic widescreen, use TW2. For 4:3, use Natural. Using thesse settings will preserve the OAR, something this forum takes very seriously.

Doug Smith

Second Unit
I kind of like Theatrewide 3 for the 2.35:1 movies - the bars are smaller on the bottom. Am I losing anything?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
THeaterwide 3 crops and stretches, so yes you are losing something and distorting the picture. The bars are there for a reason, to preserve the aspect ratio. Just because you have a widescreen set does not mean you eliminate the black bars. It means you have optimized your display for HDTV and 1:78:1 media. Calibrate your set and vary your viewing habits and the bars are no problem.

Roy Wallace

Stunt Coordinator
We have been happy using full mode for everything.
No Hi Def broadcasts here, but regular cable seems fine in this mode, with nothing being cut off.
Of course DVD's are exceptional:D

Roy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks