Question RE: Testing Surge Suppressors

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff PB, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Jeff PB

Jeff PB Agent

Does anyone know of a simple method to test if a surge suppressor is working properly?

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't any test such as a button that one might press that would momentarily simulate a surge. The vast majority of suppressors have a light indicating its functional and operational status. If the light changes color or however the manufacturer has defined things, that means your surge suppressor needs to be replaced. Depending upon the warranty, that may even include you getting another suppressor free. Personally, I wouldn't trust a suppressor that was inexpensive and say several years old. The newer ones, the better ones, meet Part 1 of UL 1449 and will indicate the transient voltage that is let through. You can get more information on surge suppressors by going back for about a month in the tweaks forum. I know this isn't the most comforting reply but if you think about it, do you really want to find a way to hit your suppressor with a 3000 volt spike?

3. Jeff PB

Jeff PB Agent

Agree, could be a dangerous experiment thus I just thought I would ask and see if there were any tricks anyone knew about to see if it was operational