What's new

Question re Surround Modes on Denon (1 Viewer)

Eric M

Auditioning
I have a Denon 1905 and was wondering about the various surround modes. I know it does them all but what about the way it auto detects. By this I mean that when I play a 5.1 dvd the receiver allows me to activate the EX mode. Does this mean the DVD is actually mastered with 5.1 EX (doesn't say on jacket) and thats why I can activate it OR does the receiver let you just do it anyway with an 5.1 source.

Hope the question is not confusing but I always thought EX decoding had to be mastered on the disc. I can activate the EX mode with nearly all of my 5.1 dvds. Is this right?

Thanks guys

Eric

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
EX is matrix decoding, it will work whether the disc is mastered that way or not, but obviously will sound better with a disc that is. There are discs that are EX that are not flagged properly so they won't cause the receiver to turn on EX, so you'll have to keep an eye on it to make sure you turn it on for those movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks