Question re: Receiver runs hot!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Pamela, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

I have an Onkyo 898, which I use as a pre/pro. My separate amp (Parasound Halo A52) runs hot, which I expect. However, I noticed that the receiver also gets very hot. I assumed that when I switched to a separate amp, the receiver wouldn't produce as much heat. Is this normal?

2. Laurence_C

Laurence_C Stunt Coordinator

Laurence
    You don't give any specifics on how you have these set-up. Is one sitting on top of the other? Are they in a rack/cabinet? Is the rack/cabinet enclosed? Do they have ventilation? If so how much space on the top/sides?

3. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

My rule of thumb is: if you can comfortably touch it, then it's definitely not too hot. Most electronics can stand temperatures we consider painfully hot. It's still possible to overheat an amplifier if you push it hard and the space is not ventilated. The receiver's amps are probably still working (though not in use) and produce as much heat as usual.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Yes, Pamela, how well is the equipment ventilated?

I remember you once telling me that your kitties have sat on your computer monitor, clogging up the ventilation slats, with the obvious ruinous results.

Prevent that fate from happening to your Onkyo.

5. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

Interesting. I just assumed that because the receiver's amps were being bypassed, they wouldn't be on.

6. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

electronics can handle a LOT more heat than you think. most transistors are designed for 200F or higher.

if you can touch it, you are fine.

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

They might be in some 'idle' mode. You could always ask for clarification from the manufacturer and if the heat is an issue you want to address, you could probably rig up a couple of compter fans to draw additonal air through the system.