What's new

Question Re: Mamet's THE SPANISH PRISONER (1 Viewer)

Kenneth English

Second Unit
I'm a big fan of David Mamet's work and have enjoyed all of his movies (though I thought STATE & MAIN was overrated).

Just re-watched THE SPANISH PRISONER last night. Great movie, but I have a question -- At one point in the film the following exchange of dialogue occurs between Joseph (Campbell Scott) and his assistant Susan (Rebecca Pidgeon):

JOSEPH: Funny old world.

SUSAN: Funny old world? Dog my cats.

JOSEPH: Dog my cats indeed.

So my question is simply: Huh? :confused:
What the hell does "Dog my cats" mean? Anyone?

PatrickL

Deceased Member
I'm a Mamet fan too; I see all his plays and movies.

"Dog my cats!" is an expression of amazement or astonishment which I think dates back a hundred years or more.

Dave Kalloch

Stunt Coordinator
And there's Mamet's Heist , with my personal favorite line, ''Everybody needs money! That's why they call it money!''

Kenneth English

Second Unit
Well, whaddaya know? Never heard that phrase before seeing the movie. Must be a Yankee thing. :wink:

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I've been commissioned to write a new dictionary of colloquial phrases and that one so far had slipped under my radar. It isn't in many of the common reference works, and I'd never heard it (I have no great liking for Mark Twain's work, which may explain it).

FWIW, I think the explanation offered on the referenced web page is plausible.

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
And there's Mamet's Heist , with my personal favorite line, ''Everybody needs money! That's why they call it money!''
Dave:
I was waiting for someone to bring up that most infamous of Mamet's lines. Do you remember when Roger Ebert went on about it for like three weeks?

Personally, I'm in the "I don't get it / what the hell is that supposed to mean / I fail to see the humor in it " crowd. :b

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Acutally, the correct way of writting that phrase would be:

Everybody needs money. That's why they call it money.

Gotta have the italics :)

--
Holadem

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks