Question re: certain equipment and odd shaped room??

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by KerryKimball, Feb 17, 2005.

1. KerryKimball

KerryKimball Auditioning

Here's my idea so far (as opposed to the Onkyo 770)

JBL SCS200.7 Complete 7.1-Channel Home Cinema Speaker System

and

ONKYO TX-SR602B Stereo and Home Theater Surround Sound Receiver

Any reviews/comments/knowledge on this stuff?

AND

Room is on the 3rd floor of our old Victorian House (ie. weird angles, plaster walls etc.)

It is long and thin roughly 9 1/2 X 18 with 2 Angles in the back creating a Triangular opening in the back AND an angled wall in the front right "filling in" a portion of that space. sorry in advance for the poor description.

Ideas??

I like the receiver with the auto calibration considering the weird room OR is that just wishful thinking AND is 7.1 even necessary, ie. should just I keep it real simple?

Thanks for any info.

2. KerryKimball

KerryKimball Auditioning

Sorry in advance if this should be in another section

3. Andy_Chin

Andy_Chin Auditioning

Hi Kerry,

I have no knowledge of the speaker system or the receiver, but considering that the room has a lot of odd angles and a low ceiling, the auto calibration might not help you out. Best way to get any system sounding good is to set up, sit down, and listen to the darned thing (although a sound level meter helps).

The 7.1 may or may not be necessary depending on what kind of home theater you're looking for. If you want a state of the art system that rivals movie theaters (and who doesn't), then go for it. If you want cheap and decent, something less may work out just fine, especially if there is no room for all of those rear/side speakers.