Question on wiring selection

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Shervin, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Shervin

Shervin Agent

Jul 24, 2003

This is my first time actually having a little money and doing a HT system so I have a few questions on wiring.

My first question deals with a subwoofer cable. Will I be fine with something off ebay that is made by acoustic research, RCA, or low end monster or do I need a good brand of wire for this?

Fiber Optic cables- I know I need this for Dolby digital but I never had to use it for pro logic before. Can I buy any brand or do I have to get an expensive one. Do you all have a brand to recommend? I have seen them as cheap as 7 bucks on eBay. I know you get what you pay for but I was curious.

Speaker wire- I already saw posts on this one and bought 14 gauge wire from Home Depot.

When I get the new TV do I need good composite cables? I have seen cheap ones at Wal-Mart for 15 bucks made by RCA.

S-video- same issue, does a high end brand make that big of a deal.

Any help would b great. If this has been covered before can you all point me in the right direction to those forums? I honestly looked but did not find my answers. I think you can tell from my post I don’t need super high end. I just don’t want static and buzzing. I hope you all can answer my questions.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Jun 29, 2001
    sub cable: any shielded cable with copper conductors will work fine. of all the cables out there, the signals going through this cable are anything below about 120 Hz. a pretty easy job. you can also purchase a preterminated video cable that's got F-connectors anywhere...supermarket even, and then go to radio shack and buy some F to RCA adapters. Pretty inexpensive. Otherwise, the choices you mentioned are also fine.

fiber optic or toslink cables seem to vary a bit in thickness (no big thing) and the nature of the connector. for some fairly inexpensive and uniquely durable toslink, consider going over to and check out their armor plated ones.

composite or component? search this forum back say about a week or so and see various discussions on this. same comments hold true for the svideo. what kind of lengths are you considering?

if you're having a difficult time just post back and i'll post some of the links.
  3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

May 22, 1999

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

Jul 23, 2002
    Sub -- as stated, any good cable with excellent shielding and a robust copper core will do fine. I bought one from Kurt @ Blue Jeans Cable.

Speaker cable -- I had the Home Depot stuff and found that it "greened" pretty quickly. Beautiful looks at first, especially terminated with gold-plated bananas, but looked like crap six months later and the oxidation CAN'T be good for sound. So you'll probably be replacing that within a year; perhaps DH Labs which is reputed to have a high bang-for-buck ratio?

Toslink/optical -- I was presented with this problem upon upgrading to a HDTV set-top box. It had a coax digital out and since my A/V receiver only has 1 coax digital in and 1 Toslink in, I had to link my DVD player via Toslink. After much research, I decided to go with a real glass unit from Sound Professionals. It is extremely well made.

Video cables: I use the Belden 1694a stuff from Blue Jeans Cable. Kurt's products are affordably priced and his service is top-notch. Seems to work just fine from my Panny RP-91 DVDP to my ISF-calibrated Panny 47WX49 RPTV.

Hope this helps and as always, YMMV.