1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Question on using LFE direct on Subs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by anthony_b, Aug 3, 2001.

1. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

If I hook up my velodyne ct100 thru the lfe direct input, would I only be able to listen to my 5.1 tracks and not my normal cd's ?...Would I have to keep switching it to a diferent input ?

2. Tom Sullivan

Tom Sullivan Agent

On the Marantz I have it has an auto function. I use the LFE out to the sub. When playing a DVD with 5.1 the receiver switches automatic to 5.1. If I play a CD through the DVD player the receiver will just play in stereo. Sub bass is there on all types of formats.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Anthony: your receiver is designed to handle a mix of different speakers and send the sounds to the speakers that can handle them.
    If you tell your receiver that you have LARGE speakers and no sub, it will send the LFE information to the speakers for a DVD and full-range sounds for music.
    If you tell your receiver that you have SMALL speakers and a sub, it will take the low-frequency sounds that SHOULD have gone to the speakers and send it to the sub.
    So your receiver can send No Sounds, LFE only, or LFE + woofer sounds from your speakers to your SUB.

4. JerryHatchett

JerryHatchett Stunt Coordinator

Let me point out that it varies by receiver. I run an HK AVR85, and I can have everything sent to mains (large speaker setting) plus have the sub on. Also note that sometimes you have to set all of this up for EACH input: DVD, CD, etc., etc.

5. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

>>>If I hook up my velodyne ct100 thru the lfe direct input, would I only be able to listen to my 5.1 tracks and not my normal cd's ?...Would I have to keep switching it to a diferent input ?

6. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Thanks Tom, you answered mu question exactly. So basically the sub does not use it's internal crossover when playing DVD's through my DVD player nor CD's through my CD player. Right ?...What brought up this question was that I was thinking of the fact that regular cd's played through my CD player would not have LFE and therefore the sub would not play since it's hooked up through the LFE direct input.
    Also my onkyo 575x has the ability to set my towers to large and sub yes.

7. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit