What's new

Question on using a bookshelf speaker as a center. please. (1 Viewer)

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
I was wondering if it would work to get a third HTD level 3 bookshelf as a center speaker and lay it on it's side on top of the tv. Would this effect the sound qualtiy versus standing it upright. Just thinkning this wopuld provide a more seamless front soundstage. Any ideas on if this would work ok? thanks for the help.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
On it's side will work. I would also suggest upside-down.
On it's side is what most center speakers are. With an added woofer to 'lock in' the tweeter. You will not have the benifit of the added speaker, and most likely experence phase distorion. Especially to the sides [not as much, in the sweet spot].
I am betting the speaker on top of the TV will be above ear level. With the speaker upside-down, you will be 'locking in' the tweeter with the woofer from above. And should experence less phase distortion than with the speaker on it's side. As well as improved center speaker proformence off axis.
------------------
Movies are the Greatest Artform! Enjoy.

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
that's cool, but the HTD bookshelf is friggin huge. It's like 15" tall. IT would be sitting on a 36" direct view set (in a couple of months that is). Seems like that would look kinda silly to me.

Randy G

Second Unit
You are correct, it WILL look silly, but it'll perform way better than laying on its side. Ya better angle it down toward the listening position, though.
BTW, that's precisely why I purchased ACI Emeralds...only 11.75" tall and shielded. Does pretty darned well for a center.
------------------

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the help ... looks like I may be better off just buying the pair of bookshelfs and the center. I just don't think it would work on a direct view set. Thanks for the input. Any other ideas on new mains and center in the 350-500 range. I'm going to be selling my b&w 302 and cc3 center to get them. Kind of a lateral move, but I'm ready for a change.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks