What's new

Question on upconverting SD-DVD (1 Viewer)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Apparently at least some older DVDs permit upconversion over component. I watched my old Anchor Bay DVD of The Witches last night, and lo and behold, instead of switching to 480, the HD-A1 merrily played it in 1080i. Maybe we should start a thread of discs that will upconvert over component.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Glen & Larry - thanks for the info. Budget doesn't allow for a new player right now (newly married :)), but maybe near the holidays. I was down on the whole thing; but less than $500, it's not such a bad deal even if HDDVD were to tank in a few years.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I'm going to try all the Anchor Bay Drive-in ones. "Circus of Horrors" upconverts to 1080i. By the way, I just got my player today and it's been a long day.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Ron, you thought Madagascar was amazing, throw in Fifth Element Superbit, if you have it. It wowed me on my Zenith, it will probably look even better on your Toshiba.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jerome,

From what I hear, it probably will look better than the
Blu-Ray transfer! :)

Will check it out today!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jerome,

Maybe it's me....

I just threw in The Fifth Element and was not impressed
with its upconverted quality.

Perhaps it's something with the transfer that has translated over
to the reported Blu-Ray problems.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I'm somewhat suprised, but I'm using the Zenith DVB 318 via component. The two scenes I demo the most is the "Aziz Light" scene when the professor is looking at the wall. The sand and dust on the wall and the imperfections I find to be impressive and realistic. The other scene is the scene with Chris Tucker as he is in the middle of the gun fight with Bruce Willis. The sweat on Chris Tucker is profound, I use to have the player hooked up via component and s-video and as flipping between the two connections it was like night and day. Anyway, the fun part is determining which SD-DVD looks great via the Toshiba until there's an HD-DVD release, luck dog.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jerome,

I have to admit this was my first upconverted live-action DVD.

I had only previously watched Madagascar and The
Lion King
and was blown away by how close it looked to Hi-Def.

The Fifth Element, for me, looked like a DVD. The opening
credits had jagged borders. The starfields were not sharp. Even the
scene where Leloo is standing on the building ledge watching the
traffic below, there was visible noise in the picture.

It's tough, Jerome. My eyes are now used to HD-DVD and everything
else, including standard DVD looks inferior. I really need to watch a
few more live-action titles to compare. I think animation will always
look good no matter what, and perhaps I started too far at the top
of the spectrum.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member

That's the same way I feel with all my SD-DVDs upscaled. 480i most definetly and 480p is never watched in the Grate Theater. At least you are spoiled the correct way, me well I've got to use smoke and mirrors to get 1080i:laugh:

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I'm using component for upscaling my SD's and they look fantastic. I've started a list of SD's that will upscale thru component and I'll post it soon.

I've done some comparing with my Panny RP-82 and the HD A1 and I gotta tell you that the Panny gives a better picture in 480p!!!

The HD A1 picture in 480p is a little soft and grainer and I've compared quite a few SD's from my collection.

I did play a 1.66:1 non anamorphic movie tonite in 1080i (an Anchor Bay title)
and even though it was windowboxed, it still looked fantastic...as good as any 480p SD in my collection.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
The HD-A1 is my first upconverting player and wow does it look a lot better than any other DVD player I've ever owned.

I sampled a few scenes in Star Wars Episode II(the one prequel I can stand) and it looked amazing. 24 Season 4 was on par with the HD broadcasts I watched last year.

And oh yeah, there are those HD-DVD things it can play too.:)

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

I just got my Toshiba HD-A1 from Amazon last night (ordered Aug. 1st & it's all your fault Ron ;) after I read your "Reasonable cost of upgrading to HD is absolutely a rewarding experience!" post!!!) and I'm way over Jerome Grate side after sampling my SuperBit Fifth Element HDMI upconverted 1080i image on my 1080p Toshiba 56HM195!!! The colors were bright, well saturated, the inky blacks just pops out the various scenes, all the details are crisp, sharp, w/improved details in the shadows and the 15-20mins. or so sampling reminded me more of an HD TV broadcasts. I didn't see any video noise or artifacts, just an impressive palette of eye candy.

This is my second upconverting DVD Player so I'm comparing this to my S&V Approved - labeled "A superior performer" Panasonic S77s HDMI upconverting 1080i DVD player and the HD-A1 is not only easily its equal vs. S77s, but actually raises the bar by looking markedly better overall!!!

Other jaw dropping SD DVDs sampled were Star Wars Ep. III (digital transfer), SuperBit The Mask of Zorro, The Legend of Zorro (HiDef transfer), Sahara and Ultraviolet (digital transfer). Can't wait to get my Sahara HD DVD hopefully today! (Bourne Supremacy HD in the mail and Serenity HD backordered)

I originally discovered that my digital or HiDef transferred SD DVD movies (Spy Kids, The Incredibles, Madagascar, etc.) looked glorious w/my Panasonic S77s, but now that I confirmed my new HD-A1 excels in its upconverting circuitry, ... my 5-month old Panasonic S77s is on eBay right now!!! :D

Phil

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Phil,

Congrats on your new player! Do let us know what you think
when you start watching a few HD-DVD titles.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

Thanks Ron! Looks like I start tonight, viewing my first HD-DVD, Sahara (a few friends are coming over).

According to the UPS tracking ...
Date ..............Time ............ Location .................Event Details
Aug 04, 2006 ..06:13:00 AM ..SUNNYVALE CA US ..Out for delivery :D
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

FYI: I have a few unretouched digital pictures (3 or 4 MP Olympus on a tri-pod & the digital pics represents about 80-85% of the true quality vs. in person) samples from my Panasonic S77s upconverted 480 to 1080i HDMI - link below my signature.

Sometime next week, I'll update my album w/sampled HD-DVD pics and post my subjective review.

Interesting, my DVE video calibration was virtually identical between my HD-A1 vs. S77s, except for Brightness.

HD-A1 = 49
S77s = 45

All other settings were spot-on with Digital Video Essentials

Equipment: Toshiba HD-A1 (Panasonic DVD-S77s)
Input #6: HDMI / upconverting 480p > 1080i
.... 1081i DVD Results / HDTV Screen = Natural
......... Contrast: 50
......... Brightness: 49 (45)
......... Color: 50
......... Tint: 0
......... Sharpness: 0

Color Temp = WARM
Lamp Mode = LOW

Phil

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Even though the upconversion is superb I only use it on a case by case basis.

That damn Ron and Crawdaddy with all their talk got me to buy mine too. Damn them ;)

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I was going to start a whole thread on this, but figured I might get an answer here.

Has anyone had any problems with macroblocking and upconverted material? I only ask because I'm leaning towards picking up a player, and the Panasonic S-97 was known to have macroblocking issues when upconverting. I don't have any macroblocking issues with the S-97, but many do with other units. I was just wondering if the A1 had any issues with this on any sets?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Brett,

Macroblocking can only be a problem with Faroudja chip based players....which the Toshiba is not.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

Dave H is correct, my Faroudja chip based Panasonic S77s upconverted 480 to 1080i exhibited its ugly macroblocking head with some (not all) of my SD DVDs - 1080p Toshiba 56HM195.

Macroblocking is non-existent playing those same SD DVDs on my HD-A1! :) Just a visibly smooth rendering of those previously problem scenes!

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks