question on tv format of a "55 Mistsubishi WS Diamond Series

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Brian Brantley, Aug 23, 2003.

1. Brian Brantley

Okay, well, Terminator 2 the other day and I got on of those scenes where the text is at the edge of a screen. The computer screen is filling the screen and this is typed

onnor,
    ohn

Something missing? How bout the C and the J? I've wondered how to fix this for a while and it's affected a couple things on occasion. Anyway, when you press format on the controller you can switch the tv to stretched, expand, standard, and narrow. When I watch tv I like to have a 4:3 aspect as do I with 4:3 DVD's so I put it narrow. When I did this I noticed the image... isn't centered. It leans to the left a bit in fact. So I watched this show and looked at what was at the very edge of the screen in narrow.. Switch to standard now.. can't see it!

It my tv has everything to the left a bit. I've gone in menus and tried to see if there was a scree centering thing I could do. I couldn't find one at all and need help. It would be much appreciated, thx! thumbsup

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Brian, this is the better area to post your question.

That DVD is a 16:9-encoded presentation of a widescreen title. And you're trying to watch it on a widescreen display. Therefore, you need to go into your DVD player's setup menu and select "16:9" as your output format.

Why are you trying to watch a widescreen, 16:9-encoded (i.e., so-called "anamorphic widescreen") title in 4:3?

We prefer to view films in their theatrical aspect ratios.

3. Brian Brantley

Hmm, was worried I didnt make this clear enough...

I was trying to say my screen seems slighted to the left in standard WS or narrow 4:3. I only noticed it exactly when I was watching a show(regular cable so not suited for WS) and saw in 4:3 where you can see the edges of a picture in the middle of the screen... like this

4. Timon Russo

Timon Russo Stunt Coordinator

In narrow mode, the image is repositioned every so often to reduce the effects of uneven wear. Its seldom in the center on my set. But usually not too far off to the left or right. Is that what you are talking about? Its a feature I'm happy to have. Of course, I usually use stretch mode anyway.

You might also consider reducing your overscan, which I did, and am much happier now. But that involves the service menus and I would not be the person to advise you on it.

5. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Do a search for "overscan". This is ineherent to every display and can be adjusted via the service menu.