What's new

Question on Toshiba DVD players (1 Viewer)

DennisP

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going to buy a second DVD player and have been shopping local retailers for brands. I see some decent prices on Toshiba DVD players...but seem to recall many problems people have with Toshiba DVD players handling different DVD titles. I currently have a Pioneer 525, and it handles every DVD I throw at (which is what I expect it to do). I'm troubled by what I hear from Tosh owners who complain that their player cannot play certain DVDs..or there are problems turning off DVD features (like subtitles). I also hear that Tosh owners have been updating their players to play certain DVD's.

If these types of problems are true, and people continue to buy and remain loyal to Toshiba....is it because their players are much superior to the other DVD players on the market?

I'm very curious...I've seen some good prices on Panny, JVC and Pioneer models too.

BrianKM

Stunt Coordinator
Dennis,

I don't think I've heard anything to that effect - most people harp on Tosh DVD players for their downconversion. I have had a lowly Tosh 1600 for about 18 months and it has only locked up on me once out of 150+ discs (90% rentals). If you can do an anamorphic squeeze, I would say go for a Tosh, based on my experience. Of course, YMMV ...

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I have been quite happy with my Tosh SD4700 since purchasing it about 6 weeks ago. I haven't encountered any problems.

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
I too have a SD4700. I bought it last Christmas and absolutely love the picture through component outputs. MP3 playback sounds surprisingly good too. I also have not had any trouble with the notoriously "defective" discs (Holy Grail, Spy Games).

My only concern is that I see a split second layer change in practically every movie I watch. Does anyone know if this normal for this player?

Thanks!

C

Dan Dimopoulos

Auditioning
I've got the Toshiba SD 2200 (for a while now), and its taken every DVD I've given it without problem.(200+ discs). Some players have caused problems with certain titles, (as Chris has mentioned) but I haven't had any problems on my player either.

I've found Toshiba to make pretty solid players, and the pricing is competitive.

Cheers!

JonBouche

Agent
I bought a 4700 right after christmas and it played the first few discs without issue. I then tried to play to brand-new unopened discs and it wouldn't read either one. I put them in my Pioneer Elite player and they played without a hitch. Took the 4700 back for a refund.

While there are many happy Tosh owners, there are also a large group that have similar issues as mine. However, in their defense, there are many other manufacturers that have also had similar issues, other than really Pioneer.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
I have a Tosh 2710(?). Anyway, no problems with any discs other than scratched rentals. Best $130.00 I have spent.:D

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I have had the toshiba 3109 and now the 4700 and I have never had any problems. I also owned a pioneer carousel in between the 3109 and 4700 which was nice but I prefer the color reproduction in the toshiba just a little more so I went back to Toshiba.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Toshiba's compatibility problems were pretty much over starting with the 2109 and 3109 models a couple or three years ago. They do still have a reputation for somewhat jaggy downconversion, but on the other hand have very sharp pictures with vivid color reproduction.

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
I've had the Tosh 4700 for a number of months w/ no problems. Don't forget, for a great price you also get DVD-A. That feature alone makes the Tosh hard to pass up. I got mine for $189.00 at UBid.

shankar

Stunt Coordinator
I have a SD2109 and a SD3755. I'm extremely happy with both. I play a lot of allegedly pirated DVD rentals of Indian movies and the players tend to skip sometimes, but that I attribute to the DVD itself, not the player. I have had no problem with any of the problem movies discussed in the forums. I particularly like the SD3755.

Shankar

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I own a SD-6200 progressive scan player that did have problems with certain discs. It could not handle certain titles with seemless branching (such as T2) without audio dropouts, froze up on Rocky:SE (which plays fine in my other players) and would occasionally fail to recognize a disc (opening/closing the tray would usually correct the problem).

The SD-6200 is now boxed up, and will only be used if my main player -- a Panasonic RP-91 -- dies.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I've owned a Tosh 2150 DVD player for about 1 tear and 6 months. It is the first and only DVD player that I've ever owned and IMO it has been a great little player. I don't watch my DVs on a very high end TV (it's actually a 4:3 20 inch Sony) so I don't notice the down conversion problems as much as I would on a bigger TV but I do notice them a tad. In all the time I've my 2150 the only disc I've had a problem with is the Die Hard:5 Star Edition. I still believe though that the disc may have been glitchy because I could still get it to play it just was more complicated and the problem corrected itself after the first couple viewings, the disc works everytime I put it in. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks