Question on "The Alamo" Laserdisc

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NathanP, Nov 29, 2001.

1. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Hello,

I've heard that the cut on "The Alamo" Laserdisc is unaltered and the longest is version available..

Is this the same cut as the Director's Cut on VHS?

I've seen the Directors Cut, and was VERY pleased with it..

Thanks guys,

Nathan

2. Gunnar Syren

Gunnar Syren Stunt Coordinator

Haven't seen it on VHS, but the LD running time is 3 hours 22 minutes.

3. John P Grosskopf

John P Grosskopf Second Unit

The director's cut on LD and VHS is the original Roadshow version, and represents John Waynes's preferred version of the film.

The LD is letterboxed at 2:35 to 1. I seem to remember there being two widescreen versions on VHS: one at 2:35 to one, and another at approximately 1:85 to 1.

It was also available in a butchered pan and scam VHS as well.

This version was created from a transfer of a very good quality shorter version print with the added scenes and entire final battle sequence coming from a complete 70mm roadshow version that was found somewhere. In the process of cleaning up the recovered print, the print was destroyed in a chemical bath, and it no longer exists. This is why we haven't seen it on DVD.

I for one am pretty pleased to have the longer Roadshow LD, and am happy with the quality of the picture and sound. I would be happy to see the same LD master used to ceate a DVD version. A little digital clean-up and color correcting could bring it closer to the current DVD, and would suffice until a complete version is found or restored from other materials. Fans of the film would surely understand given the situation, and would appreciate the director's cut being available on DVD. A simple disclaimer concerning the picture quality on the back of the sleve (like on the Army of Darkness D.C. or The Wickerman box set) would complete the package and inform consumers of what to expect.

MGM has recycled many aged non-anamorphic LD transfers like Lifeforce, Secret of Nimh, Spaceballs, Thief, & more recently Hoosiers. It seems to me they could easily utilize the LD roadshow version master to produce a new DVD that would suffice to complement the currently available shorter cut.

4. John P Grosskopf

5. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

There are two versions on LD, one is the same as the dvd and the other is the longer roadshow version box set. Surprisingly, this LD box set may still be available, brand new, from Pioneer Direct - The Alamo.

6. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Johnny G--

Did you take offense to that?

None, was intended..

As for my grammar, I'm just a lowly high-schooler..

So, the Alamo DVD, isn't the directors cut?

ARG!, I don't know what I'd do without the directors cut.

7. John P Grosskopf

No offense, just a heightened sense of humor I've not felt since I was in the presence of my old master.

My midichlorian level has been a bit high lately, which surely explains my behavior.

8. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

"just a lowly high-schooler"? Where the heck do you think you're going to learn grammar, if not while you're in school? Your grammar should be better than that of the old farts like me! [​IMG]

9. Gunnar Syren

Gunnar Syren Stunt Coordinator