Question on Technics turntable....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brent_H, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Brent, while I am not a Technics turntable expert, I will say that this is not a model I recognize as being among the legendary Technics models. Perhaps it is and I just don't know it. Also, an on-going debate in the vinyl world is whether the Technics "DJ" turntables function well when compared to more "audiophile-oriented" turntables. Many audiophiles will tell you to avoid Technics turntables and other "DJ" vinyl spinners if you are serious about audio. Of course, there are two sides to every story, and there are many out there who will dismiss this viewpoint as audiophile phooey. Just consider both vantage points. In the end, if you can grab the Technics turntable for the mere $9.99, I don't see how you can go wrong, unless of course, the unit is DOA.

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

My Dad used to have an SL-B2 (for a few extra bucks you could get semi-automatic) and it was a good table. If it's working that's a good deal. That was a cheap $100 turntable in the 70s.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

The one truly "legendary" Technics turntable was a model that was in existence back before Matsushita even launched the Technics brand name: the SP-10 armless direct-drive unit. It stayed in the lineup even under the Technics moniker for a long time, and was a darling of the high-end audio crowd—until that crowd drifted back into the belt-drive camp and swooned at the cultish Linn-Sondek LP12.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jack, thanks for the history lesson. [​IMG] With respect to legendary Technics tables, I was primarily considering newer models that have gotten a lot of positive press. Nevertheless, the model in the eBay auction did not ring a bell.
    Yeah, I'd say the Linn Sondek LP12 has a "cultish" following. [​IMG]

6. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

7. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

well, my friend has the exact same turntable, except its a direct-drive...he hasn't had problems. i ended up winning the auction, so if it doesnt work out, its not that huge of a loss [​IMG]
    thanks for all the input!!

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Brent, congrats. on your win. I guess you had a little competition there. Still, as long as the turntable works, you did very well at $16. When it arrives, check the quality of the needle. Let us know how it works out.

9. Greg Bright

Greg Bright Second Unit

Gregory Bright
    Buzz is right; a new cartridge/stylus and record cleaning system are must haves. The best places I have found are:
    agrado cartridges
    and
    Disc Doctor
    BTW, my Technics SL-1300 is 27 years old and still going strong.
    Greg

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

11. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

you guys have been a great help, thanks a ton!!!

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Brent, no problem. Of course, you realize that a good cartridge, tonearm, and cleaner will run you a lot more than you paid for the turntable. [​IMG] The results will be worth it in the long run, however.

13. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

yeah so I got the turntable and it works and everything, power-wise......but the belt fell off during shipment and is now too stretched to grip and turn the platter......so the seller is refunding me $10 [​IMG]

14. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

15. Tom Moran

Tom Moran Agent

I'm willing to bet the belt on this table was slipping before it was shipped. A close friend had the same table with the same problem. I don't want to rain on your parade but sinking a lot of money into this table with new tonearms, cartridges etc... is a waste IMO.

If you can get a decent cartridge and a belt for under $30 you are doing all right. If not, I would cut your losses and look elsewhere.

BTW - All the audiophile talk about DJ turntables being lower quality is to be taken with a grain of salt. Higher end DJ turntables like the classic Technics 1200 are built to isolate the unit from the massive vibrations that exist in the dance clubs where they are installed. Most "Audiophile" turntables are built to do the same thing but to a lesser degree. Isolation is a key factor in the sound of LPs.

Fashion in the turntable world dictates that esoteric designs and stratospheric prices endear the vinyl lovers of the world (already a pretty esoteric bunch to begin with) with signature sounds that are subjectively beautiful but objectively just a bit better than ordinary.

A turntable is a mechanical device. Phono pre amps on the other hand are pieces of electronics that can have a significant impact on sound quality.

For most of us the only phone pre amp we have ever heard is inside our receiver behind the phono jacks. On really high end set ups the pre amp is a separate piece of gear and good ones, combined with a good turntable, can make a big difference.

Tom

16. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

And make sure you get proper cables. I am NOT a "cable guy" (read my signature) but magnetic cartridges do require cables with certain characteristics so everything sounds right (I think one of them being low capacitance).
    In the manual for my old Technics SL-D20, it warns about this, and this was 20 years ago with a $180 turntable!
    LJ

17. Carl Mulder

Carl Mulder Stunt Coordinator

technics 1200's or 1210' I think are the way to go.
    you want direct drive decks not belt driven because the power and speed of the record dosn't change, but with belt driven decks your more suseptable to speed increases and decreases.
    technics new turn table mark 3, wow what a deck, thats industry standard.

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Tom, so would you expect one of the top Technics turntables to compete with a Rega P2 or P3 or, say, the Music Hall MMF-7? Have you done such comparisons? I ask because I may upgrade my turntable someday. I'm only using a $200 Sony PS-LX350H manual turntable now). The way I figure it, I could probably find a good discount on a Technics turntable a lot more easily than a discount on a new Rega or Music Hall turntable. I'd rather not buy used.