Question on Surround Sound Calibration

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WarnerL, Sep 1, 2001.

1. WarnerL

WarnerL Agent

Hi All,
    I am just starting to build my home theater system. I have my Dolby Digital surround sound receiver and my home theater speakers (Home Theater Direct Level Three - bookshelf version). I am planning to get the Video Essentials DVD for calibration. I don't have the DVD yet but I have a question about its use for speaker level calibration. I have my mains, center and surrounds all set to "small" so I know that the frequencies below 80 Hz will be sent to the subwoofer. During the audio calibration with the pink noise for each speaker (fronts and surrounds), won't some of the test tone be output from the sub (because the frequencies below 80 Hz are sent to the sub automatically) and depending on what you have the sub level set to, won't that throw the overall calibration levels off? I know on the DVD there is specifically a sub level calibration tone that will be used to set the sub but after that is set, does one have to go back to recalibrate all the other speakers because you changed the level in the sub and like I mentioned before, the sub will output during the other speaker calibration tones? Maybe I am completely wrong here and the pink noise for the main and surround speakers do not contain any frequencies below the 80 Hz and therefore the sub would not make any sound during the test. Please clarify.
    Thanks.

2. WarnerL

WarnerL Agent

Could someone please look at my question?
    Thanks in advance.

3. Anthony Stephan

Anthony Stephan Stunt Coordinator

Maybe someone smarter than me will come along soon.
    But for now, I'm going to say that it really doesn't matter.
    First, you can test the full frequency range of your speakers. Yes, this will include the sub...I think.
    But for calibrating your system so that all are set at equal levels, all you need is the pink noise which is at a fairly high frequency. No lower frequencies are required.
    Then you can set the sub out put using the lower frequencies. I think that when you do that, you don't need to worry about the mains or anything else.
    Don't worry, the disc walks you through everything.
    Just go get a Radio Shack sound pressure meeter.