What's new

Question on subwoofer types (1 Viewer)

Cloud

Agent
Real Name
Jeff
I just want some clarification on what type of subwoofer to get. It will be going in the corner of a carpeted room. Will the carpet make a difference in a down firing sub vs a front firing sub? And how about port locations? Front/rear/bottom/combination? I've seen front firing subs with front ports, back ports, and both. I've seen downfiring subs with front ports, back ports, bottom ports, and all combinations of the three. I'm wondering what will sound the best being both in a corner and on carpet.

brandonchenry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandon Henry
I like my down firing sub. It makes the floor feel live, and I like being able to feel to bass.

I have a front firing, front ported sub too. I like this one because I was able to recess it into the wall without hampering its performance.

In the average room, you probably wont be able to notice a whole lot of difference with different port and driver configurations. I have played around a lot with turning subs this way and that, aiming them different directions. I find that if its set up right, and your eyes are closed, it's hard to tell the difference.

Room acustics can do strange things though. If your getting "dead" spots, or build up in spots, a bass trap can help even things out.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
As long as there is proper clearance for any ports (i.e. the port openings aren't jammed up against a wall), the configuration doesn't really matter much. Sub bass is non-directional, so you shouldn't be able to notice where it is coming from at all.

Concentrate on other factors - size, performance, esthetics, budget - before worrying about configuration. Although configuration often depends on those other factors; choosing configuration before size, performance, esthetics and/or budget is doing it backwards.

brandonchenry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandon Henry
well, I upgraded from an svs PB12-NSD to a PB12-Plus/2. So I went from front firing driver to down firing. Shook my room more, but I guess that could also be from the second driver ;^}

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You can test that theory by turning the sub on it's side and removing the base plate. Don't forget to put the screws back in or you will have air leaks....In fact, this is how some people run their SVS subs.

I'm running a pair of TC-3000's in 3cf sealed enclosures powered by a Behringer EP-2500. Way more sub than my room can handle.

-Robert

Cloud

Agent
Real Name
Jeff
Ok, here's my question that I was hoping someone would have answered:
Will it make a difference on a down firing sub if it's on a carpeted surface? I'm looking for something in my living room and it is carpeted. I have no intention of ripping up the carpet. Maybe just use a board to set the sub on similar to the way svs has the base plate?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It depends on if the sub feet have enough clearance. The design SVS uses is intentional, since it eliminates the problem.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Unless your carpet is three-inch high shag, then there will be no difference. If it bugs you to have the speaker firing down into carpet, get a piece of MDF from Lowes or Home Depot, and set that on the carpet with the speaker atop it. I don't think you'll be able to tell any difference at all, though.

Cloud

Agent
Real Name
Jeff

Its just standard carpet (1/4" or so high), so I'm hoping there won't be a difference. I have some mdf laying around so I may try both ways just to make sure. My only concern is is vibrating off the mdf or the mdf moving itself. Hopefully it sounds just as good on the carpet.

Thanks for all the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilsonvn
Recent bookmarks