What's new

question on subwoofer isolation riser and subwoofer (1 Viewer)

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
hello,

I am considering buying a subwoofer isolation riser from Auralex but have a question. My sub, which is an Adire, is approximately 16x18 and the riser is 15x15, unless I get the larger one which is not only too large but also way more expensive. So basically my sub will be hanging off the riser. I was wondering if by hanging off the riser will I still get the full effect(for lack of a better word) of the riser or do I really have to go with the bigger more expensive one?

Thanks in advance

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've never understood the need for the sub-dude or whatever it is called. If you have a properly built cabinet, it will not vibrate. The only vibrations should be coming from sound waves.

Auralex markets this while Parts Express markets feet to couple speakers and subs to the floor. Elemental Designs sells their subs with these feet.

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not %100 sure of this since I never used one of these risers but from what I understand and read it helps reduce some of the hum and vibrations caused on hardwood floors etc. I never had the need for one but I am now living on the top floor above someone and it's hardwood floors. Reading reviews about it makes it seems like it helps reduce vibrations and isolates the bass supposedly and makes it less aggravating for anyone who happens to be living below you, which is the reason I am looking into buying one in the first place.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The cabinet does nothing for my 55 year old wood floors and walls. I use 2 Grammas under my sub (the Grammas are bigger - they are made for the stage so they are not a 'pretty'). Now my windows/doors/floor is no longer part of the sound.

BTW - I have PB12 Ultra/2 which is built like a tank.

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
David,

So you definitely do hear a difference then? That's good to know. I looked up your sub, and that thing is pretty big. I just want to know if I'll be ok with the 15x15 riser or would I really have to invest in 2 of them for them to work properly.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I would suggest the GRAMMA is 30x19. It's not as 'pretty', but it is bigger and priced the same.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GreatGRAMMA

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Adding a Gramma to my sub was one of the single best things I have done for my bass.

They also sell the SubDude that is sort of meant for home applications, but it is basically the same thing as Gramma just black instead of gray.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks