What's new

Question on sub response based on floor type... (1 Viewer)

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit
I recently moved into a new house and am working on setting up my HT.
One thing that I have noticed is that the bass response on my sub has gone way down compared to my last two places -- an apartment (much smaller room of course) and a house (room about the same size as current).
I'm getting reference level volume (75 decibles) during sub set up but it just seems I'm not getting the same response across various frequencies.
I notice when I do the LFE frequency sweep on Avia, there are a few more "drop-offs" then before.
I think it might be because my new house has hardwood floors covered with carpet and the house has a foundation and crawl space, NOT a slab.
My old house had exposed hardwood floors and it seemed I had much more "punch" in the bass.
I've been using the pod race scenes and end lightsaber duels of Episodie I as my references for comparison, because I've watched them so many times and know them well.
As I'm sitting there watching those scenes, I can really feel the floor vibrating with low frequencies, but the overall response is not what it used to be.
It's almost as if the bass is being transmitted into the floor and not the room.
I think I read somewhere that you can place some kind of blocks under your sub that will help in a situation like this?
As I said, I know that there are many variables at play here, but are there any general rules of thumb about houses with a crawl space?
For reference, my receiver is a Sony STR-DB840 and my sub is the JBL 10" Powered sub (can't remember actual model #)
Thanks!

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Jeff,

I have the down-firing JBL PB10 and highly recommend putting your sub on any hard surface such as a piece of marble, granite, hard tile or even paving blocks. You need to get it up off the carpet. I would recommend this even for front-firing subs as well.

I use a nice piece of marble in one room system and a granite square in the bedroom. If it's nicer to look at the WAF doesn't come into play.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks