What's new

Question on sub-out on older Yamaha RX-V870 (1 Viewer)

Brett_H

Second Unit
All,
I'm using a Yamaha RX-V870 Pro-logic receiver. This weekend I picked up the much discussed Sony WA-M40 powered sub. I managed to find an open box one at Best Buy for $109.60, compared to their sale price of $150, and the regular price of $199! So with that said, on to my question:
The receiver has a subwoofer out, but all the manual says is that it's got a fixed crossover at 200 Hz. What it fails to mention is what channels are passed to this output. Does anyone know if this output sums all channels (L/C/R + surround), just the front three, or just the mains?
Also, does anyone know if connecting a device to this output somehow engages a high-pass crossover on the remaining speakers? I doubt this is being done, just curious.
At any rate, I haven't really had a chance to fully test this sub out yet, and I probably won't get a chance any time in the near future. I live in an apartment with old people below me that never leave...
Thanks for any help!
-Brett.

John Gido

Second Unit
Brett,
I also have an older Yamaha RX-V595 connected to a Polk PSW350 using the "Sub Out" connection. My manual states that it is crossed over at 90Hz. I have all speakers (mains, center, & surrounds) set to "small" and it seems to route all lower frequencies to the sub.

Brett_H

Second Unit
John,
Thanks for the reply, but I think we're talking about two different technologies here. My receiver is strictly Pro-Logic, which (to my knowledge) doesn't support the "large" or "small" main setting. Yours supports Dolby Digital, hence the ability to set things to small vs large, right?
Thanks,
-Brett.

John H

Second Unit
I have a Yamaha DPL processor with a lowpass subwoofer preout.
The manual states only frequencies below 200Hz from the front and center channels are output.
John
------------------
Link Removed

Rich G

Stunt Coordinator
Your main channels will run full range. Your surrounds are derived from the two channels and limited in bandwidth anyway. The sub out just sends frequencies below 200Hz to a sub. You should use the subs crossover to "dial" in where it kicks in below the mains.
What mains are you using?
You can use avia and an spl to see where the mains rolloff and where the sub should take over. Remember there are no brick walls and that some overlap will take place.
------------------
Rich G.

Users who are viewing this thread