What's new

Question on Sub/Coax cable (1 Viewer)

Ross Specter

Auditioning
I'm just starting to get myself into HT, and my first system set up, so please excuse any dumb questions.

I have a sub with a separate amp.

I also plan on connecting my Soundblaster Audigy to my receiver's Coax in jack. (using a 1/8" to RCA mono adapter on the Soundblaster side)

My question is regarding different types of RCA cables. I picked up a few just because I was in the store and didn't want to have to drive back out.

Both cables are Acoustic Research Performance series.

Cable 1 is a 12 foot 75ohm cable specifically labelled as "video cable" and with the notation on the back "ideal as a digital audio coaxial cable connction."

Cable 2 is a 25 foot cable specifically labelled as "subwoofer cable". My problem however is that I would prefer to use the 25 foot cable for the coax, and the 12 foot cable to connect the receiver to the amp, as the amp will be pretty close to the receiver, and the computer with the sound card is in the next room over.

I don't know the impedance of the subwoofer cable, so I'm not sure: can I use the "video cable" to connect the sub and the "subwoofer cable" as a digital coax cable? A friend told me that neither coax nor audio care about impedance, but I just wanted to double check.

Thanks,

Ross

Ross Specter

Auditioning
Sorry, forgot to mention that these were the only cable lengths in the store. Obviously if I had seen a 12 ft. sub cable and 25 ft video cable, I would have gotten those.

Ross

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Ross.

First: all those cables are Coaxial - if you cut one, it will look like your CATV coax with a center wire to carry the signal.

The rules are: Coaxial Digital & Video cables must be made with 75 ohm coax. CATV coax is also 75 ohm coax.

Audio & subwoofer cables can be made with 50/75/110 and 300 ohm coax.

So Yes, you can use the 12 foot Video cable for the sub.

Try using the 25 foot cable for the coaxial digital connections. There is a good chance it is also made with 75 ohm coax. When people have mistakenly used an AUDIO cable with the wrong impedence, the only effect was a slight drop-out in the signal every 10-15 minutes - very small effect. You wont hurt anything by trying it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks