What's new

Question on SPL calibration (1 Viewer)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I calibrated my set up today, but I was wondering, since I almost never listen to my system in reference level, should I calibrate to my normal 'maximum' listening level of about ten decibels below reference (in my case reference is abotu 87 and where I listen is in teh 60 to 77 range). I was just using the reciever test tones and a bowored spl meter, so I don't have a Avia disc just yet, I'll do full on tweaking when I have speaker stands, a subwoofer, and the setup properly powered. (right now, only have the basic JBL NSP1).

So is there any reason I shouldn't balance to ten decibels below reference?

Adam

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
That is fine for now. Just get the channels in balance with one another and don't worry about what is "reference" until you have a test signal source with a verified level to target. The internal tones are a good first step. What I would do for now is simply place the master volume at your usual listening level and then adjust the channel levels to make the internal test tone equal throughout. It won't be as accurate as with a real calibration disc, but it will get you closer than anything else you have handy.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Thanks, I'm already very pleased with the little tweaking I did do, the center no longer overpowers my fronts and the surrounds balance a lot better to the level of the fronts than they had before. :)
Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks