Question on speeding ticket

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Pamela, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

I am a licensed California driver. Today, I received a speeding ticket in the state of Delaware. Does that count as points against my CA license? Will my insurance company have access to this info?

Thanks for any answers.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

It won't count against your California standing (it would have if, say, you received the ticket in Arizona). But as for your insurance company, the information is there for the company to find. Question is, would they think to look in Delaware's database?

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Unfortunately, some comments were made in this thread that were not only insensitive but insulting. Any further attempts at such behavior will result in more than just those comments being edited out of this thread.

Crawdaddy

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Pamela,
    The Department of Motor Vehicles in California will be notified of your ticket in Delaware. Once that happens, your insurance company will be able to gather that information with full knowledge of the amount of points you accumulated on your record.

Crawdaddy

5. Ron Etaylor

Ron Etaylor Second Unit

Sorry to hear that Pamela. Hope the insurance bite isn't too bad.

6. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

My old NY license was once suspended because of failure to pay a CT ticket. As I was standing on the shoulder contemplating my totaled SUV, wondering how I walked away from such a (reportedly) spectacular rollover without a scratch and what the financial repercussions of crashing a 2 months old $15000 car would be, the pimple-faced officer saw fit to slap me with a ticket, for "Driving too fast under conditions".

--
    Holadem

7. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

Pam
    I'm in Louisiana and a class is offered to moving violation offenders that will keep the ticket off of your driving record. One can go before the judge and request to take the Stop class.

Yes you will have to pay court costs which will likely be as much as your total ticket but it keeps the info out of site of your insurance company which makes it totally worth the effort needed to do it.

If you find that your ticket is visible in California, they may offer a similar option.

8. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

Thanks for the replies. Bummer. Oh well, I already mailed the payment today. Only $50. When I get back to California, I will find out if I can go to traffic school. Jeesh, I haven't been there in over 10 years. :b

Holadem-That sucks!

9. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> Once that happens, your insurance company will be able to gather that information with full knowledge of the amount of points you accumulated on your record.

But the insurance company has to check the record to find it, don't they? I don't think the state notifies them.

10. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Since you paid the fine that's essentially pleading guilty and its a done deal. Going to a driving course won't affect this ticket anymore. I can't imagine that you can do the driving course in another state anyways.

As I understand it the driving course is used to avoid pleading guilty on the ticket. You're essentially making a deal with the judge that you'll go to the course to become a better driver and he drops the ticket. Where I live you can do that once a year. It cost me roughly $100, court costs and the course fee. But it was better than the insurance seeing it.

If you have nothing in recent years on your driving record, you may not get hit with much if they found it. And since rates are usually lower for women anyways, it probably won't be too bad. In some states you can take the course just to lower your insurance, so if you do fear an increase try that. It might not clean your record, but it will give you a discount on your insurance for a few years.

11. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Your current Insurance company will probably not find out. But if you get a new one in the next three years then they will know.

12. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

I have a friend that is about to turn 25 and he has to get his own insurance. His parents have been paying for his insurance and every thing else he wants. He has had his license suspended 2 times for to many speeding tickets and he has 3 since they were reinstated. I think he has a total of 18 or 19. After they suspend the license I believe they clear all your points. My question is are they still going to be on his record for insurance purposes. I know he will be paying super high rates if he can get insurance. It drive him crazy that I drive a fast sports car and never got a ticket and he drives a 4 cylinder beater and gets one every 2 months.

13. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    There is a Non Resident Violators Compact between most of the states, which means that a ticket in one state is known by the other states. Failure to pay a ticket in one state will result in the driver's license being suspended in his home state.

Since you paid the ticket, it's over. You pled guilty, and have paid the fine. Don't worry about driver school. It won't help.

14. Michael Silla

Michael Silla Second Unit

15. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I'm a California resident and got a speeding ticket in Arizona back in '93, 70 in a 55 zone or similar. Paid by mail and had no repercussions as far as insurance. It was my first ticket for anything for something like 10 or 15 years and I haven't gotten any since.

I think if your driving record is clean for a long period of time they will let you slide on an isolated speeding ticket every 10 years or so.