What's new

question on speaker wire run length (1 Viewer)

Kevin_P

Grip
hey everyone...
getting my speaker wire from my receiver to my rears is sort of a pain in the butt. i live in an apartment, so i can't rip up my carpet and get the run under it, so i have two options:
1. run it up my wall and through the panels in my ceiling (my apt has those removable panels in the ceiling--like office buildings do)
- one wire would run about 25 feet and the other would go abour 35 feet
2. just run it along the top of my carpet and get a rug or something
- lengths would be about 12 feet and 20 feet
which option would you suggest? is 25-35 feet just too long? would the quality of signal be inferior? btw, i'm using 12 gauge from HD.
any help at all would be much appreciated
thanks
--kevin

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
Run it as far as it has to go. Such short distances you won't notice a difference. Also, don't worry about having one length longer than the other or anything either.
Sam

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Definitely run it overhead in the ceiling area. Running it on the floor creates the potential for stepping on it and breaking strands of wire inside the jacket. Concerning the signal quality, the extra few feet should not matter.
------------------
My DVD Collection Casa del Clint

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I was visiting a friend’s apartment this weekend and he had done a nice job surface-wiring his rear speakers, using white zip-cord. He ran it up the corner and then stapled it across the top of the wall at the ceiling juncture. He had even painted the staples white. With his white walls, it was practically invisible, only noticeable if you were looking for it.
The only downside is that you will have to use smaller wire, 16 or 18 ga., as you will never get an inconspicuous surface cable run using 12ga. wire. You can get white 16 or 18 ga. zip cord by the foot at any hardware store. You will also have to get a staple gun for cable staples (i.e., round top).
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
------------------
My Equipment List

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks