question on speaker settings

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by harvey_mason, Oct 19, 2002.

1. harvey_mason

harvey_mason Agent

i own a nakamichi av-10 and my question is on speaker settings large and small...
    I also have a paradigm pw-2200 sub for my LFE channel.
    now, i know i am suppose to set my front psb silvers to small to utilize my sub but do i set my surrounds and center to large or small??? I use the psb c6i for my center and the image2b for my surrounds. will i be losing audio if i set them to small or will the sound below 80 hz that would have went there now go to my sub???
    I know for my fronts when set to small anything below 80hz goes to my paradigm but is this the same w/ center and surrounds? Or should i keep them set to large??
    I just upgraded my center from the c5 to the c6i and what a difference!!!! Only downfall of the c6i is it's massive size and weight. I am starting to worry about it sitting on top of my new mits 65611 [​IMG] Will this cause bowing in time??? what else can I do???
    as always thanks in advance guys,
    harvey

2. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

It should be the same for all speakers set to small, anything below 80hz will go to the sub. I have Stratus Silvers for Front L&R the c6 and Stratus Mini's for surround. Do you have multiple xover settings? I do a lot of messing around with mine. For some movies with thinner soundtracks I set all speakers to large and lower my xover to the sub.[​IMG]

3. harvey_mason

harvey_mason Agent

Hi Brent,

unfortunately I do not have an adjustable xover. It is set by the receiver@ 80 hz, however, with that said, my paradigm pw-2200 has an adjustable built in crossover that goes from 40 to 150 I believe. I assume that in order to use that x-over I would have to hook up my sub via speaker cable to the reveiver's front ssspeaker ins and then from the sub to my fronts?? Then I think I can use the built in x-over on my sub. IS there any negatives to doing this way?? will it effect dolby 5.1 digital playback??

I am completely thrilled w/ how my system sounds now but I am always wondering how i can improve.....

regards,
    HArvey

4. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

It shouldn't affect the 5.1 playback but you may have to tweek the "high cut" setting. For now just set all speakers to small play some movies then set the fronts and center to large and try that. Just play around a bit, have some fun. Most recomendations are to set all speakers to small. But again experimenting is half the fun. [​IMG]

5. ben_fowler

ben_fowler Extra

I concur. Set the speakers to small, thereby activating your receiver's 80Hz crossover, and then set the sub to about the same crossover point, or turn off the crossover in the sub if you can and go direct.
    Cheers,