Question on Speaker Settings?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by scott_tinari, Nov 14, 2001.

1. scott_tinari

scott_tinari Stunt Coordinator

I have Energy take 5 speakers and sub and the Pioneer Elite 35 reciever. Is it ok, if I set my front speakers Large and my rear speakers large, and keep center small or can I set everything to large or keep everything small. I think it sounds better if I put everything large, will setting my speakers large hurt the speakers. Any answers? Thanks

2. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Setting your speakers to large won't necessarily hurt anything... but considering the frequency response of the Take 5 setup, you'll have a lot of missing bass information if you do. With that system, you're better off setting all speakers to small. However, make sure you turn the crossover on the subwoofer all the way up (or use an unfiltered input) so your receiver's crossover is the only one being used.

3. Nick G

Nick G Stunt Coordinator

Scott, I second what Jeremy told you, your system should sound far better with ALL speakers set to small and let your sub handle the low frequences.
    Nick

4. scott_tinari

scott_tinari Stunt Coordinator

I have my speakers set to Front-Large Center-Small Rears-Large, and Sub-PLUS, it sounds like a large movie theater. Can I do this.

5. Nick G

Nick G Stunt Coordinator

.........I have my speakers set to Front-Large Center-Small Rears-Large, and Sub-PLUS, it sounds like a large movie theater. Can I do this...................
    Well sure, you can do it, but I do not think the Take 5 speakers are designed as full range so by setting them to "large" you are taxing the fronts and rears beyond what they can handle. As a result your system is not going to sound as clean and clear as it would with all speakers set to small.
    Here is a thread you might find interesting. Pay particular attention to the post by Brian Florian.
    Regards, Nick
    http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/003524.html

6. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

While I do not completely agree with Mr. Florian's opinion on home theater bass management (I see nothing wrong by having speakers in my setup with different bass capabilities (and exploiting those capabilities)...he says use the same basic speaker all around), I do agree that Scott should NOT set any speaker in the Take 5 lineup as "large". And, the bass/sub setup should not be on "plus".
    As Nick points out, attempting to have speakers reproduce bass that they are incapable of wastes your receiver's power and can cause potentially damaging distortion from the speakers set as "large" (and probably even messes up the ones set to "small" because of the receiver's lower available power.)
    The key to the best bass in your setup is to use bass management to send bass to where it is best reproduced. AND, not send it to where it can't be "best" reproduced.
    The Take 5 speakers are rated for flat bass response down to 90 Hz or so. So, this translates to the fact the the last couple of octaves of bass must come from another source, ie. your subwoofer. Attempting to send 40 Hz or even 20 Hz to a Take 5 unit would not give a clean, undistorted response.
    Bottom line...set all 5 speakers to "small", the "plus" feature to off/sub only, and set the sub's crossover as high as it will go (this will make sure that the sub reaches up high enough to blend with the other 5 speakers.)
    ------------------

7. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

I have Paradigm 60s for my front. Should I set them to large or small?

8. Nick G

Nick G Stunt Coordinator

Howard, for movies even with Studio 60s I would set them to small. (I am assuming you have a sub) If you have a quality sub, you might keep them small for music as well, alot of folks do, WITH A GOOD SUB. However the Studio 60s go pretty low so you might want to experiment a bit and see what sounds best to you. Some with Studio 60s do not even use a sub for music, so the mains of course would then be set to large. It is a personal preference matter. If I was experimenting with the large setting on your system and using the sub too, I think I would start with the crossover on the sub around 50Hz first, and then try it a little higher and then a little lower and see how it sounds and proceed from there. Then try the same music with the mains set to "small", turn up the crossover on the sub as high as it will go (the reciever will handle the crossover duties)and see how it sounds to you that way. With movies though set all speakers to small with the sub crossover up all the way, LFEs can be as high as 120Hz, and you do not want your subs crossover setting to cut any of them off. Enjoy.
    Regards, Nick

9. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

Can anyone tell me why it's good to set the cross-over frequency to its highest levels? And how do you know when the setting is too high? What should I be listening for?

10. Zane Johnson

Zane Johnson Agent

if your mains are set to play down to 80hz with a crossover then you would want your sub to reach up to 80hz so that you wouldn't lose any part of the music like you would if the mains high pass was set to 80hz and the subs low pass was set to 50hz.....the 50 to 80hz sounds would be lost...
    the reason they are saying to set your subs xover to the highest point is so that the reciever can control what info goes to the sub and the subs internal xover won't filter it out...