Question on speaker placement - Placement inside entertaiment center

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Edwards, Aug 20, 2002.

1. John Edwards

John Edwards Auditioning

Hello,
    I own a pair of definitive technology ProMonitor 200's, along with their matching stants. I am looking to purchase a Laurier home entertaiment unit.
    Many of these units (http://www.premierehometheater.com)come with a built in grilled cabinet to put your speakers in, on the bottom left and bottom right of each side 'tower'. (There are some with the cabinets on the top left and top right as well).
    This would be nice to be able to hide my speakers inside of my wall unit, rather than keep them on the stands on each side of the unit. But from a proper speaker placement point of view, I don't know if it is 'proper' to have the speakers be this low to the ground (or 6 feet high), or if it even makes a difference.
    I am curious as to peoples opinions on placing the speakers in these cabinets at floor (or 6 ft) level. I would like to purchase one of the units with the speaker enclosures, but if it is not a good idea sonically, I will choose an entertainment center without the speaker enclosures, and keep them on the stands.
    Thank you in advance for your advice!

2. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Never place your speakers in an enclosed cabinet. That is the worst thing you can do for them, especially if they are ported. The reason is: speakers are designed with a specific cabinet size, shape, and volume. These all affect the sound of the speaker. You are then asking to put it in another bigger cabinet with its own acoustics. You will get sound and vibrations in the bigger cabinet which will color the sound. And, yes they are always at the wrong height.

3. KevinA

KevinA Agent

but placing them on a shelf (say of a bookcase, 3/4 of the way enclosed) would that be o.k.? hence the name... bookshelf speakers, eh?

4. Jeff Hoak

Jeff Hoak Stunt Coordinator

Sometimes the decision as to whether or not to place the speakers in an entertainment center isn't based on the best possible sound. Occasionally the "decorator" has some say.

I have my JBL S38's (without their grills) in the upper section of an entertainment center. The cabinet doors have a "grill cloth" panel. Are they as good as they could be? No. I have placed them on makeshift stands out of the cabinet just to hear the difference. Yes, they sounded better out of the cabinet. HOWEVER... The difference in sound (not really that much) simply wasn't worth the domestic discord that trying to place them outside the cabinet would have caused. Trust me... My life is eaiser when there are NO domestic issues.

What I did do is try to optimize the situation to the fullest. The speakers sit on a 3/4" MDF sheet with 6 VibraPods under the sheet and 4 VibraPods between the sheet and the speaker. There is an additional strip of MDF along the back edge of the sheet with angles the speakers slightly downward. The bottom edge of the speakers is just over 5' off the floor. The angle of the speakers has them facing just a bit above my head when sitting in the sweet spot. The downward angle made more difference than I would have thought. The VibraPods do an excellent job of isolating the entertainment center itself from speaker vibrations. The JBL's are front ported so that wasn't an issue for me.

I don't think that there are cabinet "echo" issues in my setup but I'm going to be applying an "acoustic foam" type of treatment to the insides of the cavities where the speakers sit. I doubt it'll make a lot of difference but it shouldn't hurt anything either. I do notice that I like the sound better with cabinet doors open (even though they have grills in them) but they don't open far enough. I think I'll be looking for a different type of hinge that will allow the doors to swing all the way around and out of the way.

F.Y.I. The system is a pair of JBL S38 fronts a S-Center, a pair of HTI8 (in-wall) surround and a S120II sub, all being driven by a Pioneer VSX-39TX (as pre/pro) and a Marantz MM9000 amp 5x150 watt.

All in all I'm VERY happy with the sound that this system puts out. The decorator is VERY happy with the way her living room looks.

Life is good...

5. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor