Question on Sony DVP-NS700P

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim A. Banville, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

I know (from using one once) that the NS700 has a darker picture from its 480p outputs vs. its 480i outputs. I assume that means that the "setup level" for black is 7.5 IRE for interlaced and 0 IRE for progressive. Correct? Does this unit pass blacker-than-black?

thanks

Jim

2. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

Okay, I went ahead and paid the $3 at www.theperfectvision.com to download the all too short review of this player, which states that it does pass below black. Strange that the review in Sound and Vision Magazine says the black "setup level" is 7.5 IRE. Doesn't the ability to pass below black require an black IRE level of 0? Now the 700P spec's chart in the Sound and Vision review say they were determined using the composite output of the player. I assume this means that since you can't get progressive signals from the composite output that the interlaced output has a black level of 7.5 IRE and the progressive output has a black level of 0 IRE?
    thanks
    Jim