Question on Sampson 700 ohm loads and svs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jonathanR, Mar 13, 2002.

1. jonathanR

jonathanR Stunt Coordinator

Hello:

I have one CS 20-39 plus and a sampson 700 amp and I'm trying to use the full output of the amp. The svs is rated at 4ohms and the sampson,(bridged),can deliver about 700w but at 8 ohms. Would connecting the speaker(4ohms) to amp this way(bridged 8ohms) reduce the output?

What If I use the amp in parallel mode 350w each channel(4ohms) and just run the (2) positives & negs from the amp both to the positive & neg connection of the (4ohm) speaker? What would be the load of this connection? Thanks for any help.

John

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Have a fire extinguisher handy if you try anything other than the recommended method.

350 is a ton of power.

3. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

connecting a 4ohm speaker in that way would increase the output, theoretically to 1400 watts. SVS does not recommend bridging the amp into a single sub.

4. jonathanR

jonathanR Stunt Coordinator

So if i decide just to hook it up in a bridged way, should it be alright? I'm not looking for 700w into one channel.....I'll probably just knock down the sub preamp section quite a bit so its only getting 500w max. Just wasn't sure if the sampson s700 could handle a the svs 4ohm load in its bridged mode(8ohm) output. ???

John

5. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    The samson will most likely shut down if driven hard in 4 ohm bridged mode as it was not designed to operate in bridged mode for such a low impedance. I believe the lowest rated impedance in bridged mode is 8 ohms.

Just use the amp in the stereo mode. 350W is more than enough power for the SVS.