Question on running Coax cable to media room

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lisa Space, Sep 16, 2001.

1. Lisa Space

Lisa Space Extra

I'm in the process of building my HT and media room. All my walls are open. I want to know how many coax cables should I run from my HT back to my media room (Distribution panel)which is on the other side of the room. Do I need to run 1 coax for every Video component and Audio?Thanks for your time.
    Lisa Space

2. Anthony Lobo

Anthony Lobo Agent

Hi Lisa,
    I would recommend running 1 piece of CEBUS which houses 2 CAT5E, and 2 RG6 Quad Shielded Cable.
    Why CEBUS.
    The CAT5E (telephone wire) would be used for phone applications or if you have a satellite dish and need to order PPV program.
    The RG6 (coaxial cable aka television cable) would be used for television and satellite.
    Anthony

3. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Lisa
    a couple of things to consider:
    From my mainsystem I run 3 RG6s to each TV ; 1 video + stereo audio to the video input on the TV.
    I also run 2 more for 2 sat TV receivers for a total of 5.
    Security...some day want a security camera or one for the babys room?
    I offered to just that as a gift for my sister in law. I explained that all she would have to do is turn on the TV t see hat the baby is doing
    She told me she did not need it since it is a small house......
    a couple of months ago my wife over heard her speaking to a friend at a party, "everytime she crys at 3 am, I think about that damn camera and wish I would have never declined the offer"
    I other words , put wherever you think you ..even remotely might use something (then double it!).
    Wire is cheap and its really easy now
    Cat 5 wire s a must
    S video cable is good
    Speaker wires if you want to add speakers to a room
    Good luck
    Grant
    ------------------
    Why?
    Why do you keep hounding me and harassing me and hounding me?
    It's not like I don't have anything better to do, you know.
    It's not like the Phantom Cruiser is going to wax itself.
    It's not like last night's burrito stain will just up and remove itself from my cape.
    I am a superhero!
    A very very busy superhero! Who does...things!
    Now get out of here before I tell your mother.
    AND DON'T TRAMPLE MY BEGONIAS!
    -Space Ghost..

4. Lisa Space

Lisa Space Extra

Yeah well here is the thing. I plan on having in the HT area, the cable box, VCR, maybe DVD. The reason maybe is cause I might use my PC's DVD. So knowing what I plan on having in the HT how many RG6 should I run back to the Media closet? And how many should I run for maybe future components? Thanks again.
    Lisa S