Question on RS spl meter(needle reading for sub)?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jonathanR, Mar 13, 2002.

1. jonathanR

jonathanR Stunt Coordinator

Hello:

I'm pretty familiar with setting up and calibrating HT speakers with a RS spl meter. I currently have a CS 20-39+ and I have it about 6 dbs hot over 75 dbs of the rest of the speakers. But when I'm trying to pinpoint exactly the sub level using the spl meter and pink noise I get readings between 1-2 dbs. Do you take the highest needle rating or the lowest needle rating...on the spl meter? Right now the lowest needle mark hits about 81 dbs and the highest about 83 dbs. Which one is accurate so I know whether I have to lower my sub levels. Thanks for your help.

John

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

You just have to take the average.

My guess is you are getting wall-reflections that arrive at one instant to increase the volume, and cancel the sound the next. Thats why the needle is jumping around.

You might try moving the SPL meter 2 to the l/r in 2 inch increments. My guess is you will find some spots louder and some spots quieter. You can actually map the null/peak positions in your room this way if you have the patience.

But you should just take the average reading at your listening position.

Hope this helps.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

You have discovered that the lower freq info makes that needle go nuts.

Usually, the accepted standard is to use the "average" reading- meaning watch how much it jumps and see where the mid point is (or what area it spends most of it's time).

I tend to simply make the peak level of the needle about 7db hot, this usually results in a setting that is 5db over ref. Basically a quick and dirty way to "average".

So, either take the average-- or you can make a good guess by putting the peak 2db over you intended target DB.

-Vince

4. Brad Craig

Brad Craig Stunt Coordinator

By the way, are you using C weighting on slow to test your sub???

Are you using the receiver test tones or the AVIA of VE disc???

Just curious...