Question on replacing receiver (newbie)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Sami Kallio, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

Jan 6, 2004
    I'm considering HK 7200 based on what I've read on these forums. I'm tempted to move to better receiver from my old Yamaha AX-396. Before I shell out $800 for a receiver I'd like to hear opinions about whether it's worth it or not, or should I upgrade my main speakers first (Infinity RS-5). Would the advantage gained on the better receiver be shadowed by the old main speakers, or am I putting down the RS-5's for no reason? Maybe down the line I could move the RS-5's to rear and get new fronts.

I recently purchased SVS PCi 16-46 subwoofer and paired with the RS-5's produce a sound I do like, although it's been a while since I went to listen to the latest speaker lineups.

Would the advanced digital processing alone be worth the purchase? Yamaha is pretty poor in that area, being 5+ year old receiver.

Oh, current setup as it is now:

Receiver: Yamaha AX-396
    DVD: Sony DPV NC655P
    CD: Sony CDP CXX400
    Rear: Infinity RS-5
    Center: JBL S-Center II
    Rear: small Yamaha's
    Sub: SVS PCi 16-46
    Projector: Seleco SVP 350
  2. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

Oct 20, 2001
    go for something other than H/K. they have a bad rep around here. I used to sell them, they came back more times fried. im not a big fan, that's for sure, because of the reliability problems. Look at a higher end yammie or a sherwood newcastle. the newcastle rocks...and for the price it can't be beat! Hope this helps! Don't get scared of the sherwood name. they are awsome units that are built solid!