Question on region free players - also for Malata owners

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jay E, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I need to buy a region free player and I'm looking for one that I can buy and set up easily.

Do all region free players need modifications? I was looking at a Malata 580 at buy.com for $80, can this be bought and set up right away without any modifications? Or is it cheap because it has no modifications yet?

Also, Is there anyone who has a recent model of Malata who can tell me if it has both a zoom & pan feature (I have bad over scan on my TV)?

Thanks!

2. Andre Bijelic

Andre Bijelic Stunt Coordinator

The Malata 580 will do PAL-NTSC conversion and is region-free out of the box. However, the picture quality isn't that great - the image is very soft. It also won't output DTS, if that's important to you. I believe it has a zoom feature, but not one that let's you shrink the image to compensate for overscan.

If you're looking for a modestly-priced, region-free, PAL-NTSC player, I'd recommend the Toshiba 4900. It's been discontinued, but can still be found here-and-there. Price should be somewhere around $100. Overall a pretty solid DVD player, with flawless PAL-NTSC conversion. Out of the box, it plays all regions, but you have to go into the menu and manually switch the region code before playing a disc. Or you can easily find a simple hack that online that makes the player region-free.

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Owning a Malata 991 now for 3+ years, it sounds like the new ones are deproved! The 991 doesn't have the greatest picture either, but it don't suck! The conversion seems purr-dy good and region selection automatic. It plays DTS, after you select it in the menu, a minor annoyance.

Wasn't there a Korean player that was region-free that everybody was getting about a year ago? The brand is escaping me, _____?

4. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Thanks for the info!

The overscan on my TV is so bad that the only way I can watch DVDs is with the x-y scaling that The Malata 996 & Malata 520 have. I don't know any other brand or model that has that. However I can't seem to find one of these Malatas anywhere.

It looks like I may have to buy a new TV (which I can't afford), and go with a region free player without the x-y scaling. I can't believe Malata didn't keep this feature.