What's new

Question on recievers (1 Viewer)

MatthewLei

Grip
Well I'm just getting into this so I don't really know what the do. I have a stereo system from bestbuy that was about $150. It comes with the unit and 4 speakers. What would I do with it if I want a reciever. I'm hoping to buy totally new parts but I can only get it part at a time. I want a reciever first.. How would I hook the stereo system into it? If it matters the speakers use tiny red/black wires that split into 2 and snaps into the stereo. Also I'll need the best reciever I can get for under $200.. I know it's gonna be bottomline compared to everyone elses.. heh

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Welcome to the HTF Matthew. Might I suggest you repost this exact same question in the Home Theatre Hardware section rather than here. You will get a much better response.
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's
[Edited last by Neil Joseph on November 12, 2001 at 03:54 PM]

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Well, if I am reading your post correctly, it sounds like these speakers have a special plug on them to attach them to your current receiver. Theoretically, you should be able to cut off the plugs on the end and strip about 1/2" of the wire on the ends and attach them to the matching black and red outputs on a standard receiver. if you need longer wire, you will need to connect additional wire - I recommend with wire nuts. (I assume you aren't able to remove the red and black wire from the speakers.) The only thing you need to be careful of is if the speakers have a weird impedence rating. It should say someplace on the speaker or your literature what that is. The standard is 4 to 8 Ohms, but who knows what you can get with these "all-in-one" systems. As long as you are within this range (4-8 Ohms) you should be okay.
As far as what receiver to buy.. I hesitate to make a brand recommendation as it probably would start a string of debates. But, $200 should by you a decent mid-end receiver.
I wouldn't expect much of an improvement in sound out of your speakers,however. You may want to look into investing in a new set. (or, if you are even half-way handy, build your own.. I would recommend DIY speakers over commercial to anyone with a budget)

MatthewLei

Grip
I'm going to buy new speakers if I can. I'm just a poor jobless college boy waiting for x-mas money.. The stereo I have no says 25watts power... So the speakers probably will suck on a reciever.. Also do reciever have a built in cd player or do I hook this stereo into the reciever? I don't know much about this stuff but I want to learn.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks