question on receiver features

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Larry_VM, Feb 2, 2002.

1. Larry_VM

Larry_VM Auditioning

I'm shopping for a receiver and am confused about the mix of features offered by similarly priced units. ie not many seem to have pro logic II. the onkyo 595 seems well respected but doesn't even have component switching. the pioneer 810S does, but doesn't have pro logic II, same with the yamaha 5460 & 620. is pro logic II relatively new that it only went into a few of the manufacturers' 2001 models? is component switching a big deal?

the kenwood VR-509 seems to have the features i want but few have it in stock. even the local CC said they're out and won't be getting them back in. is this model being phased out for 2002? when do the new models come out?

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

3. Larry_VM

Larry_VM Auditioning

michael, thanks. i couldn't find the receiver i wanted (kenwood vr-509 w/dplII) in stock anywhere so i ended up getting the pioneer 810s. you're right in that my dvd is the only component source (for now [​IMG] ) , so i guess i'll just keep it connected to the tv.
    one thing that surprised me was that i thought the receiver would have a switch to go 5.1 vs 6.1. but it looks like it's just 6.1 and you have the option to turn off the extra channel. but i don't know if i'd lose anything (soundwise) by doing that.