What's new

question on receiver features (1 Viewer)

Larry_VM

Auditioning
I'm shopping for a receiver and am confused about the mix of features offered by similarly priced units. ie not many seem to have pro logic II. the onkyo 595 seems well respected but doesn't even have component switching. the pioneer 810S does, but doesn't have pro logic II, same with the yamaha 5460 & 620. is pro logic II relatively new that it only went into a few of the manufacturers' 2001 models? is component switching a big deal?

the kenwood VR-509 seems to have the features i want but few have it in stock. even the local CC said they're out and won't be getting them back in. is this model being phased out for 2002? when do the new models come out?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
is component switching a big deal?
As with so many things, it depends. Do you have -- or do you expect to have -- multiple sources that output a component signal? If so, you may need component switching. For most people, I suspect it's not a priority. The most common situation is probably a single component source (i.e., a DVD player) running a direct connection to a TV with component inputs. For that, component switching would just be excess wiring.

As for specific receiver models, I'll have to defer to someone who's more up-to-date than I am.

M.

Larry_VM

Auditioning
michael, thanks. i couldn't find the receiver i wanted (kenwood vr-509 w/dplII) in stock anywhere so i ended up getting the pioneer 810s. you're right in that my dvd is the only component source (for now :D ) , so i guess i'll just keep it connected to the tv.
one thing that surprised me was that i thought the receiver would have a switch to go 5.1 vs 6.1. but it looks like it's just 6.1 and you have the option to turn off the extra channel. but i don't know if i'd lose anything (soundwise) by doing that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks