What's new

Question on re-grouting tile floor (1 Viewer)

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I've looked all over and can't seem to get a definitive answer, so I'll pose the question to all of you handy HTF folks.

I recently repaired part of the grout on my bathroom's tile floor. I've decided to re-grout the rest of the floor so it all matches. The problem is, I only have one bathroom, so I will have to walk on it. How long before it is safe to walk on the grout?

Thanks!

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

6 - 8 hours should be fine. I do lots of tile work in my career and usually at the 6 or 8 hour mark, a decent sealer can be applied because the grout is dry enough.

Additionally, ensure that you apply a tile grout sealer once the grout has dried. The sealer only needs 2 hours to dry before using the area again. The sealer will ensure that you don't have to replace the grout again too soon since it will prevent water from seeping into the grout lines. A personal preference for sealer is a product by Tile Labs and is sold at Home Depot. Get the one in the green container because it is Teflon based and should last 20 years. If you don't want to wipe on the Tile Labs sealer, HD sells a spray-on sealer that is supposed to last 15 years.

Best of luck. Please post if you have any additional questions.

Here's a picture of my latest project completed for a client:

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Nice work, Wayne!

I just re-did the floor in my bathroom. I laid new subfloor and all that, but once I re-installed the stool (and sat on it!) the floor developed a .5mm crack along the baseboard grout.

Next time I'll install reinforcement under the head...

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Nice work Wayne! Seeing that you are in the area do you do any tile work as a side job? I have lots in my townhouse that I want to do.

Thanks,
Jeff

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the info, Wayne. I think I can keep out of the bathroom for six to eight hours. Or use my neighbor's! And I will head to Home Depot to pick up the sealer you recommended.

Do you put your sealer on with a brush or one of those foam applicators?

And that tile looks real nice! :emoji_thumbsup: I don't think I'm remotely capable of that.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Pamela,

When I apply the sealer, I tend to prefer just using a small rag to apply the sealer. I end up using a bit more sealer, but I do find that the grout gets a much better coverage of the sealer. Home Depot sells some little bottles with brushes at the end where you can apply the sealer and brush it along the seams. However, in my experience, the rag still works better. You might want to put on some rubber gloves before touching the rag with the sealer - so that it doesn't get on your skin.

Jeff,

Doing tile work and other such projects is my full-time profession now after leaving the corporate world a few years back. I can take on both big and small projects.

Here's one more shower that I did earlier this year. The old shower was only about 2/3 the size of this new beast.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks