What's new

Question on projector screen? (1 Viewer)

MarkWK

Agent
Hello,

I was wondering if someone would know that answer to this question. I am getting a new projector an Optoma H27 and I have a screen question. I also have a fairly big screen that is the type used to project home movies on, you know super 8mm movies? Can this be used as the projection screen for the new projectors or am I looking at getting a new screen too. I was going to rig it up to hang from the ceiling and be a pull down type. So what do you guys think? Has anyone tried this?
Thanks,
Mark

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
It'll work just fine for starters and perhaps forever.

The major problems:
1. It might not be perfectly flat or may have some wrinkles.
2. The picture may be smaller than you want given that the screen has a 4:3 aspect ratio and most of your movies are 16:9 or wider.

Minor problems:
3. Your projector might not have really deep blacks and you may find a gray screen makes the picture look better overall.
4. Your projector's light output may be insufficient for the picture size you want and you may find that a screen with a higher gain would be better.
5. You may be very critical about speaker placement and a speaker must go behind the screen in which case you need a screen that is acoustically transparent (has myriads of tiny perforations).

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
What kind of screen is it? A screen is a screen, and if it's a proper screen for your purposes it should work fine. The only qualms would be if it's some old style beaded screen/silvery screen which will be all sparkly, that would not be preferred at all. You find those in a lot of those aincient pulldown/pullup contraptions for looking at photo slides for instance. Those suck.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Most likely it will be perfect. I would certainly use it before investing in anything with the buzzword "home theater" attached.

MarkWK

Agent
Thanks for the reply folks! I guess I'll have to give it a go and let my eye be the judge.
Thanks again,
Mark

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I used a Draper 108 inch pull down for 2 years. Picture quality was tremendous. I just left mine down all the time. If your room is dark, then it's the best way to go. I attached some black curtains around it and it looked rather cool and elegant. Check out tigerdirect.com for some great deals on them. Might cost you about 60-70 more than what it would be for a DIY job and far easier. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks