Question on projection screens

Discussion in 'Displays' started by claudia meillat, Jul 20, 2004.

1. claudia meillat

claudia meillat Auditioning

Can I use projection screens such as the ones used in company boardrooms and classrooms (for presentations)for viewing movies??? These seem to be cheaper than movie projection screens from Da-lite/Stewart.

Thanks so much!

2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    It really comes down to how picky you are about the surface. If you really want the best performance you should go with a screen material appropriate for your projector. If you just need a surface, there are numerous ways to go, some comparable in quality to those other products and some just providing a surface. If you really want to save money you can just project onto an available white/light colored wall and probably get the same performance as the basic screens.

Check out www.mountsandmore.com for good pricing and selection. You can click on "My Gear" in my signature to see the screen I made.

3. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

4. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

Yes, you can. Actually, I think that if you look at what screens are in boardrooms and class rooms you will very often see a Da-Lite pull down screen.

I'm using a 16:9 aspect ratio pull down Da-Lite with a bit of gain (video spectra 1.5) that's 84" wide. You can order a Da-Lite pull down in about any size and aspect ratio that you want for a good price. Delivered, my screen was about $225.

Generally the pull down screens are going to be the least expensive. If you go with any type of electric retractable screen, or even fixed, it's going to be more expensive that way. That's because most boardroom and classroom screens are pull down, and so they make A LOT of them.

Matt

5. claudia meillat

claudia meillat Auditioning

Thank you everyone for your replies. I live in Toronto, and unfortunately, the websites that were suggested do not ship to Canada. And screens from Da-lite are extremely expensive here!!! What I've managed to find are screens from Quartet and Apollo - screens for office use. Has any one heard of these brands of projection screens, and if so, would you recommend them?

Thanks!

6. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

Hi Claudia. I'm not familiar with Quartet or Apollo. Sorry I can't help you there.

Have you talked to Dan or Jason at AV Science (AVSForum)?

You can call Jason at 585-454-1460 x10. If you haven't already tried them, they may ship to Canada, I'm not sure. It's worth a call. Jason and Dan are also both very helpful in answering any questions that you may have.

Matt

7. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

I too would suggest AVS. I bought my screen from them and they were very helpful and had a great price.

8. Greg Bright

Greg Bright Second Unit

Gregory Bright
    Bought mine from AVS as well. May I suggest a local (for me) company that makes a product every bit the equal of Da-Lite and Stewart? That would be Draper, located in scenic Spiceland, Indiana. My Cineperm 1.3 has performed (reflected?) flawlessly from the beginning.

9. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

Incidentally, you can get Da-Lite, Stewart, Draper, and maybe other brands through AVS.

Matt